QRB refinisher question

HRDC Fredericton

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

Last night I saw a paid-advertisement for QRB (Quickly Restores Beauty) a new
furniture refinisher. For $49.95 + S&H (US) you receive the stripper (which
is reusable), stain (with color capsules to make colored stains), and two
bottles of scratch remover.

Has anyone used this? Was it worth it? What's it like? Do any store
products compare?

I'd appreciate your comments/advice.

Suzanne McLean

Craig1708

Jul 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/31/96

I do not trust it.

Craig Deller
The Deller Conservation Group Ltd
Geneva, Illinois
USA
crai...@aol.com "Conservators make it last longer"
http://home.aol.com/DELLERCON
*

GeneK

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

The QRB stripper is similar to any number of strippers that can be had
for a great deal less $$$ in any hardware store. The finish is
basically a wipe on oil-poly blend similar to Homer Hormsby's wipe-on
finish. The variable-sheen flattener and dissolving stains? No thanks.

Just get yourself down to your local paint store, get a bottle of
citrus-based stripper and a can of Watco or similar finish. OK for old
commercial pieces, but definitely not in order for that genuine
Stickley...

Gene

copshopLinn M. Lockwood Jr.

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96
>Suzanne -
I've used QRB onthos multiple coats of old varnish and it worked great
cleaned up a old oak high boy just fine, have also used the finish and
it looks great but time will have to tell on that one. I don't like
that match the color stain they give you it came out green instead of
walnut I won't use it. The scratch cover works good also but I doubt
it's any better than say old english.
Take care,
Linn

Jack Hock

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

Just to confuse the issue. I see the "Furniture Guys" Joe L and Ed
Feldman are selling there own stripper kit on QVC or HSC or one of them.
The kit has a citrus based stripper, wood shavings, pads, gloves, etc.
Its just interesting to watch those two do most anything, whether
restoring furniture, or hawking stripper on QVC.

Jack.

LeAnne Davis

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

HRDC Fredericton wrote:

> Last night I saw a paid-advertisement for QRB (Quickly Restores
> Beauty) a new furniture refinisher. For $49.95 + S&H (US) you receive
> the stripper (which is reusable), stain (with color capsules to make
> colored stains), and two bottles of scratch remover.
> Has anyone used this?

yes

> Was it worth it?

no, I returned mine. They do stand behind the guarantee.

> What's it like? Do any store products compare?

probably, but I've usually acquired pieces with original finishes
& haven't stripped most. The piece (a handmade oak kitchen table)
I bought the QRB for had about 100 years of paint on it & the ORB
did not completely remove the paint & it was no easier than say
Zip-Strip or Formby's.

Perhaps we should add this to an FAQ....

--
LeAnne Davis e-mail: nl...@msg.ti.com
Configuration Management or LeAnne...@ti.com

Mike Worthington

Aug 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/14/96
Hello LeAnne, I would like a some info on the Q.R.B. wood finishing
system,a friend show the advert when he was on holiday in the States and
told us about it.He made it sound like a miracle worker.We are a paint
additive company and import alot of products from America. i.e Flood
products and Zinseer and would like any info you may have time to
supply.If you don't have the time maybe you could put me the right
direction.

Regards Mick Worthingon.Perth Western Australia..

debbi...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2015, 12:03:32 AM8/15/15
On Monday, July 29, 1996 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, HRDC Fredericton wrote:
> Last night I saw a paid-advertisement for QRB (Quickly Restores Beauty) a new
> furniture refinisher. For $49.95 + S&H (US) you receive the stripper (which
> is reusable), stain (with color capsules to make colored stains), and two
> bottles of scratch remover.
>
> Has anyone used this? Was it worth it? What's it like? Do any store
> products compare?
>
> I'd appreciate your comments/advice.
>
> Suzanne McLean

*** I bought some online years ago; it sat in storage for years. I decided to try it on a yard sale coffee table that had been painted several times. It was amazing! Stripped through several layers of paint down to the wood, with no damage at all to the table. I want to buy more and can't find it online--if you have a web site, I'd like to know!

melod...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2015, 11:03:14 AM8/30/15
I bought and used QRB back when the dad owned the business. It was amazing!!! Did exactly what the father said it would.
However, I recently bought it and let me tell you there is NO comparison to the original since the sin took it over.
It didn't strip like it should even though it ate through all the gloves I tried to protect my skin with. The original formula did not!the original scraped off with ease with a piece of cardboard. The new one, did not! Plus it is very strong and major ventilation is needed!
I will not buy anymore, unless the son returns to the original formula. It really works, and with ease!
So bye bye QRB until you change back!
Melodie, from Florida!
Are you going back to the original formula??? Please!

bluef...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2017, 12:16:17 AM1/21/17

wandaf...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2019, 5:42:00 AM4/16/19
I got my 0QRB stripper from our neighbor. He ordered it some 15 years ago and never used it. Given to me years later,, I can say this still works. I hadn't tried other removers or color tinting so can't speak for them.

daphne...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2020, 2:30:54 PM2/27/20
I am sitting here shaking my head at myself, at how I wasted $57.90(tax included) on a product I NEVER used, and purchased waaayy back in 09/15/97! I am in the process of cleaning out a closet, and there it was. Box in back of closet with all the items, and not even opened! I'm contemplating keeping the dark stained scratch remover just to see if it works, but that's with trepidation for fear it might combust in my face if I opened the bottle 😆