Wedgwood Carnotzet pattern

Natasha Pittet

Feb 19, 2022, 7:40:16 AM2/19/22
Hi, I recently bought two breakfast-sized pink and white stoneware plates marked Wedgwood "Carnozet". The decoration shows people eating fondue in a carnozet. The border has a fondue pot at the bottom of the border, which has grapes, vine leaves and wheat sheaves. Does anyone know if this is a true Wedgwood pattern? It looks real but can find no trace online of this pattern.
The back says
Carnozet
Wedgwood & Co LTD
ENGLAND
FOUNDED 1835
BY
ENOCH WEDGWOOD
ALL DECORATION
UNDER THE GLAZE
PERMANENT AND ACID
RESISTING COLOURS
A GENUINE
HAND ENGRAVING.
Over this the number: 5-64 is stamped in green.
Thanks for any help!

Michael Trew

Feb 20, 2022, 7:11:45 PM2/20/22
On 2/19/2022 7:40, Natasha Pittet wrote:
> Hi, I recently bought two breakfast-sized pink and white stoneware plates marked Wedgwood "Carnozet". The decoration shows people eating fondue in a carnozet. The border has a fondue pot at the bottom of the border, which has grapes, vine leaves and wheat sheaves. Does anyone know if this is a true Wedgwood pattern? It looks real but can find no trace online of this pattern.
> The back says
> Carnozet
> Wedgwood& Co LTD
> ENGLAND
> FOUNDED 1835
> BY
> ENOCH WEDGWOOD
> ALL DECORATION
> UNDER THE GLAZE
> PERMANENT AND ACID
> RESISTING COLOURS
> A GENUINE
> HAND ENGRAVING.
> Over this the number: 5-64 is stamped in green.
> Thanks for any help!

Lots of pottery books at the antique mall that I work at. I'll check to
see if we have a book on Wedgwood and get back to you, if I don't forget.

Michael Trew

Feb 24, 2022, 10:49:52 PM2/24/22
Sorry, we didn't have any Wedgwood books. Post a picture of the back
stamp, if you can, with photobucket, postimg, or the like.

Natasha Pittet

Feb 25, 2022, 5:05:55 PM2/25/22

Natasha Pittet

Feb 25, 2022, 5:09:35 PM2/25/22
On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 4:49:52 AM UTC+1, Michael Trew wrote:
Here you are
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/NPittet/wedgwood.jpg?width=285&height=175&crop=fill

Michael Trew

Feb 26, 2022, 1:54:44 PM2/26/22
I apologize, but the photo is too small to view any kind of close-up,
specifically of the red stamp on the upper plate. Is there any way that
you can upload a larger file or a closer view?

Natasha Pittet

Feb 26, 2022, 4:30:55 PM2/26/22

Michael Trew

Feb 26, 2022, 9:44:56 PM2/26/22
That is good, thank you.

Your plates are made by a different Wedgwood than the original, famous
firm. They are made by Enoch Wedgwood, who is a distant cousin of
Joshia Wedgwood, who founded the original "Wedgwood" pottery... the
original pottery, being the well-known one, who are usually famous for
non-glazed ceramics, popularly in blue.

The two firms just happen to share the same family name, but they were
entirely different pottery firms. A little bit more info below, and
also a link to 4 plates for sale on eBay, seemingly very similar style
to your plates/pattern, based on your description.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enoch_Wedgwood

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384707837843

The company changed names a few times, and they used the name "Wedgwood
and Co" from 1860 - 1965, as stamped on yours. I don't know if the 5-64
is a date code, pattern code, or what. I'd assume that your plates are
older than 1965, due to the crazing in the glaze. I'm not well versed
on English pottery, but I'd estimate that yours are close to 90 years
old, give or take.

I don't have a guess on value either, but I'd assume less than the
original Wedgwood firm. At least in my region, all pottery (even real
Wedgwood) has really gone down in value, unfortunately.

I hope that this is helpful to you!

Michael Trew

Mar 4, 2022, 7:12:59 PM3/4/22
Hi Natasha, I hope that you received my last post.

Natasha Pittet

Mar 4, 2022, 7:56:56 PM3/4/22

Natasha Pittet

Mar 4, 2022, 7:57:14 PM3/4/22
Yes I did, sorry did you not get my answer?

Natasha Pittet

Mar 4, 2022, 7:58:35 PM3/4/22
Hi, Yes I did. I thought I had answered! Thank you very much! I bought the plates on E-bay, cos having fondue "à deux" is no fun... This way I'll have 4! Thank you again!

Michael Trew

Mar 6, 2022, 10:54:03 PM3/6/22
You're welcome. It didn't come through on my end. Perhaps it was a
Google groups to Usenet issue (I use Thunderbird to post). Either way,
I'm glad that it worked out for you! :)