Alternative to Google Groups

Marco Moock

Feb 13, 2024, 6:42:57 AMFeb 13
This is only relevant for those people who read or post in that
newsgroup using Google Groups.

Google will discontinue Groups in Feb 2024.

For those who do not know Usenet:

Usenet is a distributed communication system consisting of many servers.
Google Groups is only one of them that closes down - other servers will
stay available, but people need to use another server to read and post
here.

You need to use an NNTP server with a so called newsreader.

As an NNTP server, some free services exist where you have to register:
https://www.eternal-september.org/
https://solani.org/
https://www.i2pn2.org/

For using it, you need a newsreader.

Some examples are:
https://www.thunderbird.net
https://www.betterbird.eu/
https://claws-mail.org/
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/

You then need to configure a newsgroup account, sometimes also
called NNTP.

For most servers, authentication must be enforced in the newsreader's
settings.

For Thunderbird, a tutorial is available here:
https://www.big-8.org/wiki/Getting_Started_with_Usenet

For questions about configuring those readers, feel free to ask in
the group news.software.readers.

ohg...@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2024, 11:01:48 AMFeb 17
I downloaded Thunderbird a few weeks ago and couldn't get it to work. Without a public portal like Google (or Deja when I started), I'll be gone from usenet. I don't know what percentage of usenet users from Google are as lazy as I am or as little motivated to go through the hassle of setting up a newsreader, so it would be interesting to know if usage declines even more than it has over the years.

I think the only thing I'll miss is when Phil Allison goes on one of his two week rants. Fun times.

Marco Moock

Feb 17, 2024, 2:50:08 PMFeb 17
On 17.02.2024 um 08:01 Uhr ohg...@gmail.com wrote:

> I downloaded Thunderbird a few weeks ago and couldn't get it to work.

Please tell what didn't work.

If you want to continue to read via web, try this:
https://pi-dach.dorfdsl.de/rocksolid/thread.php?group=rec.antiques.radio%2Bphono

--
kind regards
Marco

Send spam to muel...@cartoonies.org

David LaRue

Feb 17, 2024, 8:40:16 PMFeb 17
"ohg...@gmail.com" <ohg...@gmail.com> wrote in
Above three NNTP Servers were mentioned. Go to a site, like Eternal
September, and register for a free account. Then get a News Reader and
configure is as was recommended by the selected NNTP Server.

I've not been able to use TBird for USENET. I have a Win 7 Pro system
and use a basic outdated News Reader called XNews. Still works for me
and should for you too. There are similar News Readers for Linux and
Macintosh.

Join the USENET fun with the original tools. You'll find the speed and
flexibility are likely much better than a web interface like Google
Groups.

Enjoy!

John Robertson

Feb 18, 2024, 2:22:10 AMFeb 18
With E-S I found using the SSL/TLS Security Settings to work better than
the 'None' setting in Thunderbird Server Settings for News Server
(NNTP). I was having trouble connecting and getting garbage (headers
etc. at the beginning of msgs) at times. Now the connection is solid and
messages are clear.

Not to mention NO SPAM! Eternal-September on Thunderbird (OSX) is great!

John :-#)#
John's Jukes Ltd.
#7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com