Re: Wacky radio.

22 views
Skip to first unread message

Michael Trew

unread,
Jan 4, 2022, 11:42:47 PMJan 4
to
On 1/2/2022 23:41, micky wrote:
> Ahother story: I got my first FM clock radio around 1972, after I got
> to NYC which had FM stations. Maybe Chicago did too by then.
>
> Very fancy, GE, with two alarms, digital, two speakers, and I used it 20
> or 30 years before the buttons got flaky. Took it apart and cleaned the
> buttons and it was good for 5 or more years. Took it apart and cleaned
> it and this time it only lasted 2 or 3 years. I can't keep doing this!
> So for probably 10 years I've been using it to listen to only one FM
> station. It turns off by itself or I turn the volume down to zero, and
> the only button that has to work is the On button.
>
> (It doesn't have push button frequency selection, and I found finding
> and pushing 3 numeric buttons to change stations more trouble than
> car-radio style, but they made then few if any table radios with
> car-radio buttons. Though I did see at a hamfest an AM/shortwave indoor
> radio from the 30's with mechancical memory for differnt frequencies.
> Came with little stubs/buttons already labeled WOR etc., and they sat on
> the 4 or 5" dial and would control where the dial stopped when you
> turned it.)

Cross-posting to REC.ANTIQUES.RADIO+PHONO

> But then that got hard and I'd have to lean on the left, the right, up,
> down, sometimes for 30 seconds until I pressed it just right to get it
> to go on.
>
> But two weeks ago, and this is why I'm writing, it got easy again, just
> push on the right side of the button and it starts immediately! I
> wonder how long this will last.
>
> Another thing, when I got back from a long trip, it would stay on
> forever. I just turned the volume off. If a transistor radio will play
> for many hours on a little 9v battery, they must not use much. And most
> of the power they use is for the speaker driver, right?
>
> But after a year there was a power failure and when the power came back
> on, it would turn off after, I guess, 24 hours, or maybe at the same
> clock time every time. I don't keep track.

micky

unread,
Jan 5, 2022, 9:45:55 PMJan 5
to
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 04 Jan 2022 23:42:49 -0500, Michael Trew
<michae...@att.net> wrote:

>On 1/2/2022 23:41, micky wrote:
>> Ahother story: I got my first FM clock radio around 1972, after I got
>> to NYC which had FM stations. Maybe Chicago did too by then.
>>
>> Very fancy, GE, with two alarms, digital, two speakers, and I used it 20
>> or 30 years before the buttons got flaky. Took it apart and cleaned the
>> buttons and it was good for 5 or more years. Took it apart and cleaned
>> it and this time it only lasted 2 or 3 years. I can't keep doing this!
>> So for probably 10 years I've been using it to listen to only one FM
>> station. It turns off by itself or I turn the volume down to zero, and
>> the only button that has to work is the On button.
>>
>> (It doesn't have push button frequency selection, and I found finding
>> and pushing 3 numeric buttons to change stations more trouble than
>> car-radio style, but they made then few if any table radios with
>> car-radio buttons. Though I did see at a hamfest an AM/shortwave indoor
>> radio from the 30's with mechancical memory for differnt frequencies.
>> Came with little stubs/buttons already labeled WOR etc., and they sat on
>> the 4 or 5" dial and would control where the dial stopped when you
>> turned it.)
>
>Cross-posting to REC.ANTIQUES.RADIO+PHONO

Thanks. I didn't know about that group. I hope someone replies.
>
>> But then that got hard and I'd have to lean on the left, the right, up,
>> down, sometimes for 30 seconds until I pressed it just right to get it
>> to go on.
>>
>> But two weeks ago, and this is why I'm writing, it got easy again, just
>> push on the right side of the button and it starts immediately! I
>> wonder how long this will last.
>>
>> Another thing, when I got back from a long trip, it would stay on
>> forever. I just turned the volume off. If a transistor radio will play
>> for many hours on a little 9v battery, they must not use much. And most
>> of the power they use is for the speaker driver, right?
>>
>> But after a year there was a power failure and when the power came back
>> on, it would turn off after, I guess, 24 hours,

Regarding this strange change, I just noticed that I had turned one of
the alarms, not the buzzer part but the radio. If the buzzer went off,
I'd hear it, but not the radio if I'm listening anyhow. Maybe when
it's just plain On, the alarm turns it on again but this time it's built
to only stay on for 24 hours. ?? I don't know but I turned the alarm
off.

Rink

unread,
Feb 8, 2022, 9:18:33 PMFeb 8
to
Op 6-1-2022 om 3:45 schreef micky:
> In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 04 Jan 2022 23:42:49 -0500, Michael Trew
> <michae...@att.net> wrote:
>
>> On 1/2/2022 23:41, micky wrote:
>>> Ahother story: I got my first FM clock radio around 1972, after I got
>>> to NYC which had FM stations. Maybe Chicago did too by then.


They sure had FM in Chicago.
Se page 21 of the FM Atlas in 1970:
<https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-FM-Atlas/FM-Atlas-01-1971-1st.pdf>

Rink

(reading in rec.antiques.radio+phono)
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages