Re: Raccoons as pests...help!

revans...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2019, 4:11:05 PM7/22/19
On Sunday, November 10, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, C Grabow wrote:
> I live near Rock Creek park in Washington DC. Anyone who lives near this
> beautiful park has seen plenty of wildlife, despite the proximity to a
> major urban area.
>
> I am appealing to raccoon experts to advise me on the problem of raccoons
> in our house. They have found entry points into the attic (i don't know
> what else to call it since it's not really an attic, there are no access
> points to it from within the house, it's just somewhere between the roof
> of the house and the ceilings of the top floor) area of the house, though
> i haven't actually seen the entrances. I _have_ seen them climb trees
> adjacent to the house, jump to the roof, and find a way in. Despite
> numerous repairs to the roof (specifically, patching the entry points
> up) the coons inevitably find a way in. I'm listening to them now, i
> assume playing, but they're very loud and obnoxious and i'm just waiting
> for them to drop thru the ceiling some night.
>
> My question is, since they always seem to find a way back in, what's the
> next best way to detract them? I am considering one of those sonic
> machines which emit an irritating frequency to keep animals away.But I have
> doubts about its effectiveness. Trapping hasn't helped because more
> raccoons find their way to the house.
>
> I'd appreciate any assistance folks could provide. Thanks.
>
> Chip Grabow --->
> gra...@clark.net
> bgr...@npr.org
>
> Chip Grabow --->
> gra...@clark.net
> bgr...@npr.org

I live near the forest and my land is tempting to raccons because of water features and fruit trees. I even have a koi pond. But I live on a raccoon trail. I initially tried trapping them but when I'd caught about 20 odd I gave up. They replace themselves quite quickly moving into vacated territory. Then I got an aggressive terrier whose very poop and pee scare the living bejesus out of the raccoons and I haven't seen one since whether the dog is indoors or outdoors. I learned a lesson from that. It might be the solution to your problem as well. RE