Reaper 5.22pre8+ state of Video

Airon

Jul 5, 2016, 4:35:42 AM7/5/16
to Reaper Video Users
It's about time to collect some data on what works on what systems for Reapers video.
When enough folks have sent in their stats, we can post out results in the forum and in the WIKI.

I'll start with my stats.

Most of my activity is around post production, preperations for dialogue recording and sound design.

Video type required
Fast seeking -> non-GOP codecs for sound editing and mixing

Video container/codec combinations used
MKV / ProRes Proxy (quality 20) , 360p - 1080p, no audio
MOV / ProRes Proxy (quality 20) , 360p - 1080p, no audio
MOV / PhotoJPEG (quality 40-80%) , 360p - 540p, no audio (higher resolutions not tested)

Tools to produce video
TEncoder (Windows, multi-threaded and multifile single-threaded) ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/tencoder/ )
MPEG Streamclip (Windows, macOS, single-threaded) ( http://www.squared5.com/ )

Tencoder can produce audio files from videos with multiple tracks quite easily, so it's definitely the preferred method for me to get the audio out. It can encode directly to Flac as well. I have not tested Quicktime files with uncompressed 5.1 audio.

Multiple videos in the timeline presented no problem so far.

Framerates used include
23.976 , 24 , 25 , 29.97 , 30 , 59.94 and 60 fps.

That's me.

 Tony (Airon)

Vijay Rathinam

Oct 15, 2017, 2:35:06 PM10/15/17
to Reaper Video Users
Hi I have been facing lot of problems with video playback with reaper. I have tried all codecs. I have FFMPEG, VLC, av foundation all of them installed. The video playback stutters all the time and its glitchy. This happens to me in more than one computer. I have a trash can Mac Pro, a MacBook Pro, a Mac mini, the new iMac with the 5K display. The problem exists in all computers...Pls help

Anthony Oetzmann

Oct 16, 2017, 3:19:24 AM10/16/17
to reaper-vi...@googlegroups.com
On 15.10.2017 20:35, Vijay Rathinam wrote:
> Hi I have been facing lot of problems with video playback with reaper. I have tried all codecs. I
> have FFMPEG, VLC, av foundation all of them installed. The video playback stutters all the time and
> its glitchy. This happens to me in more than one computer. I have a trash can Mac Pro, a MacBook
> Pro, a Mac mini, the new iMac with the 5K display. The problem exists in all computers...Pls help

That is unusual. What is your operating system version and what version of VLC do you have installed ?

Please copy and paste the SOURCE PROPERTIES of the video item in to an email to this list. The
default shortcut to see the source properties of an item is CMD+F2 (CTRL+F2 on PC).

Also, that will show what is actually being used by Reaper to play the video.

Check if the video plays fine in VLC. It can give you more detailed information about this video as
well. In the TOOLS menu, you'll find CODEC INFORMATION. It may be similar to what the source
properties of the video item shows in Reaper. Please include that information in your email as well.

Has anyone on macOS/OSX had similar problems lately ? I'm a Windows 7 user.

Take care
Airon

Vijay Rathinam

Oct 16, 2017, 4:07:22 AM10/16/17
to Reaper Video Users
Hi Please find attached screenshots of everything you asked for. As I said I have tried many codecs, like pro res, Avid DNX HD, MJPEG, PhotoJPEG etc..It makes no difference. This current video file is a H264 MOV with no B frames. The problem persists across different computers, I have computers with Mac OS El Capitan, Mac OS Sierra, Mac OS High Sierra.The problem happens in all my computers. I am very certain this is to do with reaper. Yes..the video plays fine in VLC or Quicktime player, MPEG Streamclip etc..Infact I even tried to work with non lethal applications video slave app. But Since reaper doesn't support MMC I couldn't get the seeking going, This has been my biggest problem. I have been biting the bullet for a long time and continuing to work with reaper as ever since I switched from PT I have had great advantages in reaper. Working with video is my daily bread and I cannot believe a software like reaper which is so good in a lot of things but have such a basic problem. I even wrote a mail to support team of cockos but haven't heard from them yet....Pls some one put me out of my misery !!!
Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 1.26.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 1.27.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 1.27.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 1.29.34 PM.png

Nandhu Kartha

Oct 16, 2017, 4:20:15 AM10/16/17
to reaper-vi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Actually I have a similar issue with mp3 in my Mac book pro with El Capitan. I had installed the MP3 codecs in the specified folders. But it didn't work. I bought it used and did not reinstall the OS.

Sorry for posting it here as I can't log on to Reaper forum as my IP is blocked.