Environmental Site Assessments on CA Commercial Real Estate

PIERS

May 29, 2008, 11:25:17 AM5/29/08
BEFORE YOU BUY OR SELL COMMERCIAL PROPERTY IN CALIFORNIA…

In today’s market, a buyer or seller of commercial property in
California can never be too careful regarding their investment.
Whether you’re a lending institution, or an individual considering a
direct sale, knowing the history of a site’s past use, any possibly
chemical contamination it may have been exposed to over the years, or
the location of known nearby polluters could help you to understand
the value of the property -- and to determine your legal
responsibilities under State, Local and Federal guidelines as owner of
the site.

PIERS IS HERE TO HELP YOU FIND THOSE ANSWERS!

What you need most to make an educated decision regarding a particular
property site is information, and PIERS Environmental Services, Inc.
can provide that for you through a variety of report and remediation
services, each at different levels of due diligence, depending upon
your individual needs. And you can rest assured that all of PIERS’
reports are compliant with the most current ASTM Standards.

CHECK OUT A LIST OF OUR STANDARD SERVICES:

Identified Hazardous Materials Site Radius Report (IHMRR): A database-
GIS mapping report that is customized to search over 100 environmental
regulatory agency databases, and plots (in color) all of the known
hazardous material/waste sites within a one-mile radius around the
subject property. This report is easy to read and detailed, so that
you can know at a glance how your property site stands in the
neighborhood.

Environmental Transaction Analysis (ETA): An original PIERS report,
used to screen smaller loans for lenders (typically, under $300,000).
This report includes a site reconnaissance, documented disclosure
interviews, an IHMRR, and a brief report on all findings. Although
this report represents no legally defensible level of due diligence,
it does allow potential and current property owners know the basic
background and current status of a property, so that they may obtain
an acceptable level of comfort.

Environmental Transaction Screen (ETS): This report includes all of
the elements which are included in the ETA report, but adds a
professional evaluation of any active fuel and toxic leak cases that
are reported to exist adjacent to the subject property. Additionally,
there is a review of at least one or two historical sources (i.e.
aerial photos, fire department files, building & health department
files, Sanborn fire insurance maps, and city directories). This report
is a higher level of due diligence than an IHMRR or ETA alone.

Phase I Environmental Site Assessment (Phase I): This report is agreed
upon by most real estate professionals, financiers, and the legal
profession as constituting the highest level of reasonable due
diligence. It includes an analysis of historical research for the
property and all adjacent properties (gathered from all available
sources, including aerial photos, fire department files, building &
health department files, Sanborn fire insurance maps, topographical
maps, and city directories), a professional and detailed
reconnaissance of the subject property and surrounding properties
(including color photographs and maps of and nearby the subject
property), documented disclosure interviews, an IHMRR, and an
inspection and analysis of regulatory records maintained by fuel and
toxic leak oversight agencies (Federal, State, Local) pertaining to
activities on sites which have affected the soil and/or groundwater
located within ¼ mile (fuel) and 1 mile (toxic) of the subject
property.

Phase I Environmental Site Assessment Update (Phase I Update): When a
Phase I report becomes outdated (six months after its initial
release), this service offers clients the opportunity to update that
report to avoid the cost and redundancy of preparing an entirely new
Phase I report. The Update includes a professional, written review of
the previous Phase I report, a new IHMRR, a thorough, professional
property site inspection, completion of an owner-operator interview,
and a brief report stating the current property conditions and any
environmental changes which may have occurred since the completion of
the original Phase I report. PIERS will even update other firms’
reports as long as they met the current ASTM standard at the time of
their completion.

Phase II Subsurface Investigations (Phase II): In the event a Phase I
report recommends further investigation be conducted regarding the
presence of hazardous materials on the subject property, PIERS is
capable of responding immediately and cost-effectively to assess the
actual status of any and all potential hazardous materials
contamination with this service. A Phase II investigation consists of
comprehensive geologic research, the recovery of soil and/or
groundwater samples, the analytical testing of samples by state
certified labs, and an analysis report indicating the findings and
their implications.

Phase III Corrective Actions (Phase III): If a Phase II report
determines that actionable concentration levels of hazardous materials
have been discovered in the subsurface environment on a property,
PIERS is well equipped to design and perform Phase III remedial
actions. Hazardous materials are sourced and the site delineated, and
the associated contaminates are either removed via on-site
remediation, excavations, or monitored (through the installation of
monitoring wells, and quarterly sampling at the discretion of local
regulatory agencies).

Financial Reimbursements: If your site qualifies for reimbursement of
costs expended to investigate and/or clean-up contamination, PIERS can
do the leg-work for you. We prepare the appropriate paperwork for you,
and navigate through the bureaucratic red-tape to submit your
financial requests to government agencies in a timely and accurate
manner.

WHO ARE WE?

PIERS Environmental Services, Inc. is a certified Woman-Owned Business
serving all of California, and has been in operation for 15+ years.
Our objectives are to protect our clients from unforeseen
environmental liabilities associated with a property, to facilitate
real estate property transactions through the rapid and efficient
identification and resolution of any recognized environmental
conditions, and to offer the highest level of environmental due
diligence reporting, with the fastest turn-around times in the
industry, and at the most reasonable cost.

PIERS has successfully completed thousands of projects over the years,
and is a preferred environmental consultant for commercial lending
institutions, real estate professionals, insurance companies, real
estate attorneys, land developers, government agencies and private
real estate investors.

LET PIERS PROVIDE THE ENVIRONMENTAL LIABILITY INFORMATION YOU WILL
NEED BEFORE YOU PURCHASE OR SELL COMMERCIAL PROPERTY IN CALIFORNIA!

Contact us today for a free quote and initial consultation!
www.pierses.com

PIERS Environmental Services, Inc.
1330 South Bascom Avenue, Suite F
San Jose, CA 95128