Open chat session with specific user?

furby

Jun 1, 2009, 12:59:07 PM6/1/09
to Realtime Gadgets
It's easy to pop up the HTML/Javascript Google Talk client in a
separate window... but is there a way to not pop up the whole client
and instead directly open a chat with a specific user? I'm trying to
use the google latitude "API" (Which is really the Latitude Badge
code) to plot a few users on a map (Which i do already), click on
their marker and then choose "Chat" from the infowindow to pop
directly to a chat with them....

Moishe Lettvin

Jun 1, 2009, 1:14:39 PM6/1/09
to realtime...@googlegroups.com
Not yet, but that is a planned feature.

Do you want to open just chats, or would you want to also open realtime gadgets with a particular user?

Timothy Collins

Jun 1, 2009, 1:19:18 PM6/1/09
to realtime...@googlegroups.com
Really just a chat (In a floating div or a popup window - I am not
picky on that).... Supposedly using a link that starts with
"gtalk:chat?jid=" was supposed to work, but my browsers constantly
complain that they can't handle that protocol, so I assume that option
is not gonna work (if pressed i could make it work on my machine, but
I am not going to visit each computer individually to make it work...
sort of destroys the whole idea of chat).

Any idea when the feature will be implemented?

Moishe Lettvin

Jun 1, 2009, 2:20:59 PM6/1/09
to realtime...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, gtalk:chat only works if you have the googletalk.exe installed, which also sets up a protocol handler.

Way easier to do a popup window when we do add this functionality, though you could make a floating div containing an iframe pointed to the popout url if you want to get fancy.