Build warnings with 0.95.2

Zsombor Papp

Sep 28, 2015, 1:20:21 AM9/28/15
to Realm
I get the following warnings when I try to build my app with Realm 0.95.2:

while processing [..]Realm.framework/Realm(RLMConstants.o):

warning: /Users/realm/workspace/objc_ios/tightdb_objc/build/DerivedData/ModuleCache/W8A5YILP5NE1/Foundation-3T2036W4IT566.pcm: No such file or directory

while processing [..]Realm.framework/Realm(RLMConstants.o):

warning: /Users/realm/workspace/objc_ios/tightdb_objc/build/DerivedData/ModuleCache/W8A5YILP5NE1/Foundation-3T2036W4IT566.pcm: No object file for requested architecture

while processing [..]Realm.framework/Realm(RLMConstants.o):

warning: Could not resolve external type c:objc(cs)NSString

while processing [..]Realm.framework/Realm(RLMSwiftSupport.o):

warning: /Users/realm/workspace/objc_ios/tightdb_objc/build/DerivedData/ModuleCache/W8A5YILP5NE1/Foundation-3T2036W4IT566.pcm: No such file or directory

while processing [..]Realm.framework/Realm(RLMSwiftSupport.o):

warning: /Users/realm/workspace/objc_ios/tightdb_objc/build/DerivedData/ModuleCache/W8A5YILP5NE1/Foundation-3T2036W4IT566.pcm: No object file for requested architecture

while processing [..]Realm.framework/Realm(RLMSwiftSupport.o):

warning: /Users/realm/workspace/objc_ios/tightdb_objc/build/DerivedData/ModuleCache/W8A5YILP5NE1/ObjectiveC-2WF61OJ0I2FC.pcm: No such file or directory

while processing [..]Realm.framework/Realm(RLMSwiftSupport.o):

warning: /Users/realm/workspace/objc_ios/tightdb_objc/build/DerivedData/ModuleCache/W8A5YILP5NE1/ObjectiveC-2WF61OJ0I2FC.pcm: No object file for requested architecture

while processing [..]Realm.framework/Realm(RLMSwiftSupport.o):

warning: Could not resolve external type c:objc(cs)NSString

while processing [..]Realm.framework/Realm(RLMConstants.o):

warning: /Users/realm/workspace/objc_ios/tightdb_objc/build/DerivedData/ModuleCache/2FHSDAYNAGZSH/Foundation-3T2036W4IT566.pcm: No such file or directory

while processing [..]Realm.framework/Realm(RLMConstants.o):

warning: /Users/realm/workspace/objc_ios/tightdb_objc/build/DerivedData/ModuleCache/2FHSDAYNAGZSH/Foundation-3T2036W4IT566.pcm: No object file for requested architecture

while processing [..]Realm.framework/Realm(RLMConstants.o):

warning: Could not resolve external type c:objc(cs)NSString

while processing [..]Realm.framework/Realm(RLMSwiftSupport.o):

warning: /Users/realm/workspace/objc_ios/tightdb_objc/build/DerivedData/ModuleCache/2FHSDAYNAGZSH/Foundation-3T2036W4IT566.pcm: No such file or directory

while processing [..]Realm.framework/Realm(RLMSwiftSupport.o):

warning: /Users/realm/workspace/objc_ios/tightdb_objc/build/DerivedData/ModuleCache/2FHSDAYNAGZSH/Foundation-3T2036W4IT566.pcm: No object file for requested architecture

while processing [..]Realm.framework/Realm(RLMSwiftSupport.o):

warning: /Users/realm/workspace/objc_ios/tightdb_objc/build/DerivedData/ModuleCache/2FHSDAYNAGZSH/ObjectiveC-2WF61OJ0I2FC.pcm: No such file or directory

while processing [..]Realm.framework/Realm(RLMSwiftSupport.o):

warning: /Users/realm/workspace/objc_ios/tightdb_objc/build/DerivedData/ModuleCache/2FHSDAYNAGZSH/ObjectiveC-2WF61OJ0I2FC.pcm: No object file for requested architecture

while processing [..]Realm.framework/Realm(RLMSwiftSupport.o):

warning: Could not resolve external type c:objc(cs)NSString

This did not happen with any previous version, including 0.95.1. I am adding Realm to the app by directly adding the static library to my Xcode project.

Do I need to do something to make these warnings go away, or will you be providing a new build to fix this?

Thanks,
Zsombor

Marius Rackwitz

Sep 28, 2015, 6:17:50 AM9/28/15
to Zsombor Papp, realm...@googlegroups.com
It seems like there are cached artifacts left from a previous build, which doesn't match the updated framework. Did you tried to clean your build folder? (⌥⇧⌘K)
Which version of Xcode do you use?

--
Marius Rackwitz
iOS Product Engineer

{#HS:125921482-1943#}

Zsombor Papp

Sep 28, 2015, 3:42:03 PM9/28/15
to Realm, zsombo...@gmail.com, he...@realm.io
Yes, I cleaned the build folder, and now I even completely removed (rm -rf) the app's derived data folder, and I still get the same. Isn't it strange that the path names in the warnings start with /Users/realm...? I don't have a 'realm' user on my computer...

Xcode version: Version 7.0 (7A220)

Marius Rackwitz

Sep 30, 2015, 12:10:02 PM9/30/15
to Zsombor Papp, realm...@googlegroups.com
These are indeed the sbsolute build paths on our CI machines. Thanks for pointing that out, didn't quite catched that on my first look at the warnings. We're doing further investigations around that. For now, you can just step back to the last patch version, if that worked for you and you do not depend on bitcode. The lastest release was about to fix that for other build scenarios, so it seems like that's a regression now related to that for the static framework distribution, but that needs still to be confirmed. If you don't need backwards-compatibility to iOS 7.0, then you could also switch to the dynamic framework, what I would recommend in general.
I'll keep in touch, about the results of our further investigations.

--
Marius Rackwitz
iOS Product Engineer

{#HS:125921482-1943#}

Zsombor Papp

Sep 30, 2015, 2:50:07 PM9/30/15
to Realm, zsombo...@gmail.com, he...@realm.io
Thanks for your response!

Why do you recommend the dynamic framework over the static one? What is the advantage of using that?

Thanks,
Zsombor

Marius Rackwitz

Oct 2, 2015, 6:06:14 AM10/2/15
to Zsombor Papp, realm...@googlegroups.com
Dynamic frameworks provide further encapsulation / namespacing, while with static libraries everything has to be merged together into your app binary. Because dynamic frameworks are already linked, your app will build faster. Though it could cause slower load times, but that would be only noticeable if you have a large number of small dependencies.

--
Marius Rackwitz
iOS Product Engineer

{#HS:125921482-1943#}

Zsombor Papp

Oct 8, 2015, 12:52:45 PM10/8/15
to Realm, zsombo...@gmail.com, he...@realm.io
Thanks for the information!

My app builds very fast as it is, so decreasing build time is not enough incentive for me to switch to the dynamic framework. Especially if it still requires that workaround mentioned in step 5 in the documentation.

What's ETA for fixing the warnings in the static library? I just checked the 0.95.3 release and it still has this problem. Do we have an issue on Github to track this problem? Do we need one?

Thanks,
Zsombor

Marius Rackwitz

Oct 8, 2015, 1:05:09 PM10/8/15
to Zsombor Papp, realm...@googlegroups.com
The GitHub issue to track this is https://github.com/realm/realm-cocoa/issues/2642.
We have updated the latest release package again and have now included different build variants for Xcode 6 and Xcode 7. If you don't rely on bitcode support, you can resolve the warnings with ios/static/xcode-6 for now.

--
Marius Rackwitz
iOS Product Engineer

{#HS:125921482-1943#}