Wars Come in Pieces: Why DLCs and Modules Take so Long?

JC

Mar 6, 2012, 12:31:19 AM3/6/12
to Real and Simulated Wars
Cases in point: Combat Mission Battles for Normandy Commonwealth
Forces and Gary Grigsby's War in the East Don to the Danube.

In the case of Combat Mission I guess it's about making 3D models and
other labor intensive goodies. War in the East, I don't know. Isn't it
just more scenarios?

Dimitris

Mar 6, 2012, 3:07:58 AM3/6/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
This used to be quite popular in the early-mid 90s IIRC.The resurgence of this theme in a completely different technological landscape is an interesting development for sure.

-D

JC

Mar 6, 2012, 8:45:23 AM3/6/12
to Real and Simulated Wars
Like those Advanced Squad Leader modules?

Forgot to mention that on the other hand, Graviteam (Achtung Panzer
series) are churning out DLCs at an astonishing pace.

Cheers,
> > just more scenarios?- Hide quoted text -

Anthony Mercando

Mar 7, 2012, 10:26:04 PM3/7/12
to Real and Simulated Wars
Depends on the game, I think.  Even mainstream non-wargames are taking
longer these days.  Hell, we're still waiting on Half Life 2: Episode
Three, aren't we?  I think it's a good sign that things take longer,
nowadays.  It reflects the amount of care a lot of devs are putting
into their expansions and DLC in the wargaming genre compared to the
mainstream shooters and action games (Which are usually more time
+money oriented than quality, it seems)

While I'm unaware of how many new game mechanics were added in the
latest CMBN expansion, but to me at face value it looked like a lot of
graphical and TO&E additions rather than new scripting.  I'm not sure
how long they spent on it.  How long was it between the announcement
and launch?

Julio Cabrera

Mar 8, 2012, 8:50:12 AM3/8/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
Yeah. Good point, Anthony.

As for CMBN, it took a bit less than one year and most of the content
is new scenarios and forces. There were some improvements, though: the
game now can use up to 4GB of RAM and some tweaks on the AI.

Dimitris

Mar 8, 2012, 10:17:48 AM3/8/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
What about Panzer Corps?

Julio Cabrera

Mar 8, 2012, 11:03:21 AM3/8/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
Yeah! That one has been steadily coming out with updates and whatnots.

In theory, the thing has featured "no significant updates" (asides
graphics) since the last Panzer General". :p

On 3/8/12, Dimitris <sunb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What about Panzer Corps?

Gerard Snitselaar

Apr 11, 2012, 4:37:55 PM4/11/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
With WITE, I imagine their main focus has been the western front game for the engine, and either they didn't spend much time on the DLC prior to its release, or it was a low priority project that was worked on when there was time.

Anthony Mercando

Apr 14, 2012, 7:30:49 PM4/14/12
to Real and Simulated Wars
Eugen Systems just rolled out the first free DLC for Wargame:European
Escalation. The AI is pretty weak, though I'd expect them to improve
it constantly. The RUSE AI they had was a tough customer, but the WEE
AI tends to attempt too many attacks in too many different places at
one time resulting in them not having the force to break through
anywhere. Added new maps and a few challenge missions (Last Stand
scenarios that leave you surrounded by the enemy) but it took them
about a month to make. Not bad at all for time. Do you guys think
smaller chunks of DLC released sooner is better than waiting longer
for a massive DLC? Valve tried that with Half Life--Then again we're
still waiting.