The Suggestions Thread

JC

Mar 5, 2012, 9:09:16 AM3/5/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

What type of things would you like to see/read in the Real and Simulated Wars blog and/or website?

For example, I don't see too much interest in the naval blog entries. Maybe it's because I suck at them? :)  In that case, does anybody want to write up something for the blog?

Cheers,

Johan S

Mar 5, 2012, 10:18:18 AM3/5/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
Hi! I would like to see more frequent revisits of old games. Other than the DCS flight sims and Arma 2, there seems to be few new posts about a game after it is first mentioned. But maybe this is because you have such limited time to spend on gaming that you rarely return to old games? I would love to hear more about your thoughts on, for instance, War in the East, Cliffs of Dover, Unity of Command and the Command Ops and Combat Mission games.

Regards

/Johan

Julio Cabrera

Mar 5, 2012, 11:11:03 AM3/5/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I know. The backlog is gigantic by now, but FWIW I have entries
regarding UoC, COps and CM.

Cliff of Dover? I haven't booted up that one until yesterday. How do
you like it?

Dimitris

Mar 5, 2012, 1:34:59 PM3/5/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
I have a feeling naval blog entries will see a spike by the end of the year...

Julio Cabrera

Mar 5, 2012, 1:53:02 PM3/5/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
@Dimitris, are you implying an end of the year release of something? )

Dimitris

Mar 5, 2012, 2:08:16 PM3/5/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
Isn't NWAC slated to be released around then? :-)

-D

On Monday, March 5, 2012 8:53:02 PM UTC+2, JC wrote:
@Dimitris, are you implying an end of the year release of something? )

Julio Cabrera

Mar 5, 2012, 2:13:52 PM3/5/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
LOL. Right.

Are you playing or plan to get Steam and Iron?

Dimitris

Mar 5, 2012, 2:17:29 PM3/5/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
We'll see. Very busy at the moment as you might imagine.

BTW I really enjoyed the recent piece on the renovated HTTR. Nice job on portraying the improvements.

On Monday, March 5, 2012 9:13:52 PM UTC+2, JC wrote:
LOL. Right.

Are you playing or plan to get Steam and Iron?

> Isn't NWAC slated to be released around then? :-)

Johan S

Mar 5, 2012, 2:30:29 PM3/5/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
Haven't had time to play CoD much, but I like it so far. I'm trying to learn how to drop bombs from the Stuka and at least hit somewhere within the same country that I'm aiming at. :-)

For the naval theme, don't forget Red Pill (or rather that new boring name they changed it to). I think that's going to be worth a blog post or two when it is released.

Dimitris

Mar 5, 2012, 3:16:18 PM3/5/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
Interesting that you should mention that one :-)

-D

Johan Sjöbom

Mar 5, 2012, 3:48:37 PM3/5/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
Well, it's very high on my list of future releases that I am lookig forward to the most. :-)

/Johan

Dimitris

Mar 5, 2012, 3:50:39 PM3/5/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, you are very kind.

FWIW we like the new name :-)

-D

Johan Sjöbom

Mar 5, 2012, 4:03:28 PM3/5/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
We? Oh, you're THAT Dimitris? Didn't realise that until just now... :-)

Anyway, I liked Red Pill better, more unique, and easier to remember.
But I guess the content is more important than the name...

/Johan

JC

Mar 5, 2012, 11:40:03 PM3/5/12
to Real and Simulated Wars
"within the same country" ... That's a good one! :)
Same here, though. The Stuka is very challenging: I struggle with
climbing (was the engine THAT poor?). Haven't tried any of the canned
missions yet, but I'm guessing that getting to the target area in one
piece must be also a nail bitter.

Cheers,

JC

Mar 5, 2012, 11:42:50 PM3/5/12
to Real and Simulated Wars
Dimitris,

Got a distributor/publisher, or you guys are going solo for that? Feel
free NOT TO answer. :)

Cheers,

Dimitris

Mar 6, 2012, 3:04:17 AM3/6/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
Once a final decision has been made we'll make an announcement.

In the meantime we'll post something nice in the beginning of April and maybe also something before or after that.

Busy times, but good ones too.

-D

Anthony Mercando

Mar 14, 2012, 10:04:02 AM3/14/12
to Real and Simulated Wars
Well... I generally pounce on the Arma content like a hungry child on
a weaker child on Halloween. I think people don't drool over naval
warfare as much as the other two branches because it isn't as
glorified, it's not as fast paced as a tank battle or a dogfight
between jets. Truth is, it's all gold content. It's just as
important if not moreso for you to write about what you find
interesting as it is for people to read it. I'm biased towards ground
warfare articles and Arma 2 as I lead an infantry unit that plays Arma
2, but it doesn't mean the Steel Beasts articles aren't excellent.

As far as new content, I wouldn't mind a few new book reviews (I
generally give stuff a look if you mention it) or some more of those
old top-down turn-based squad tactics games. I might also suggest
trying out a few of the user created modules for Arma 2 sometime (ACE2
for contemporary war, I44 for WWII, Zeus AI to give the AI a better
ability to suppress targets they can see) but other than that, it's
all I've got. Are you looking at Arma 3 or are you just expecting it
to blow your CPU into oblivion?

JC

Mar 14, 2012, 11:11:49 AM3/14/12
to Real and Simulated Wars
Thanks for your feedback Anthony.

What's your ArmA 2 online group?

Point well taken about book-related content. I am always reading
something, but fail to post about it because I feel a short blog entry
(as opposed to a time consuming full blown review) is kinda low
quality. Maybe I should lower my standards a bit. :) It's just a blog
after all ...

I am also interested in the ArmA 2 mods you mention and I look forward
to installing them.

ArmA 3, that's gonna blow up my computer!

Cheers,

JC
> > Cheers,- Hide quoted text -

Anthony Mercando

Mar 14, 2012, 7:24:28 PM3/14/12
to Real and Simulated Wars
I sent you an e-mail earlier with a video of us playing one of your
scenarios. We're called Dog Company and we do pure infantry. Most of
us play a variety of wargames, nowadays. Content trumps length,
honestly. If you're making good points and observations on a book and
you've only got two or three paragraphs on it, I'd rather read that
over the eight pages of fluff I might be subjected to by other writers
(I was an English teacher's aide for a few months, fluffy writing is
the worst thing you can subject people to--It's just time they're not
getting back)

Just a blog isn't important. It's space, just like any other format.
Fill it up however you want to!

Johan S

Mar 14, 2012, 7:45:05 PM3/14/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
Agreed, I don't think long reviews are necessary. Any tips of good books that are worth checking out would be very welcome.

JC

Mar 15, 2012, 8:40:09 AM3/15/12
to Real and Simulated Wars
Hi Tony,

Got your message but didn't get a chance to answer yet. Video looks
awesome. Would you mind me posting it in the blog?

Cheers,

JC

JC

Mar 15, 2012, 8:44:07 AM3/15/12
to Real and Simulated Wars
Thanks for the feedback, Johan. You will see more of this in the
future.

Cheers,

JC
> > over the eight pages of fluff I might be subjected to by other writers- Hide quoted text -

Anthony Mercando

Mar 15, 2012, 12:00:30 PM3/15/12
to Real and Simulated Wars
Not at all. You can even use it to explain how NOT to send an MMG
team into a fire sack. We did succeed, with fewer players later on
that night. If you'd be willing to throw another scenario at us, I'm
sure we'd play it.