Achtung Panzer: Operation Star

Hillrat

Oct 14, 2012, 9:12:40 PM10/14/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
JC I found your blog from your posts about this game.  thanks for blogging about a variety of games.

I have been playing the demo for this game and struggling through the interface.  I am considering purchasing the game but I wanted to ask about the quick battle functionality. How robust is it?  And does it extend to the DLC?  Also, are there any good mods for the game that you have come across?

Jay Cee

Oct 15, 2012, 7:22:27 AM10/15/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
Hi Captain,

Thanks for your message.

The quick battles format is very generic and it does not allow you to
choose where to deploy the opposing force. It does extend to the
"summer" DLC. It does a good job in allowing you to set the opposing
force's stance (defend, attack, etc) and off course choosing the
composition of both forces.

As for mods, I really don't know. I don't mod too much due to lack of time.

Let me know if you need anything,

Cheers,

Hillrat

Oct 15, 2012, 8:01:27 AM10/15/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!  I am surprised this game has not received more attention from blogs.  There are a few reviews of it, but it doesn't seem to have penetrated war-gaming community very deeply.  I try to play/demo most games from this genre and this one is very absorbing.  The weather/lighting effects create a wonderful atmosphere and add to the fog of war feel.

Thanks again for your blog and your response.

Chris

Jay Cee

Oct 15, 2012, 8:47:04 AM10/15/12
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
Many things could have contributed to that lack of coverage. The interface and documentation surely didn't help, but sometimes I feel that there is something else. One of them could be the "it's real time = clickfest = no real wargame" effect. :)

Who knows?

Enjoy!

smit...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2013, 11:49:00 PM11/5/13
to real-and-si...@googlegroups.com
I have found myself gaining a new appreciation for Steel Armor: Blaze of War. I own and have played all the Graviteam games including Operation Star - i agree the lighting and weather effects are great, but the parts I like best about it are that it isn't a click-fest. You are limited to guiding the AI and hoping they don't stuff it up in detailed execution. I like that things can and do go wrong and you can't immediately save/reload to fix it up - you have to live with what seems like a very human AI's decisions. It's a pity their titles haven't had wider acceptance but at least they are cheap!

Anyway, a long way around to asking if you'd do a second look at SABOW - I am really enjoying the mix of strategy and first-person tanking and the grittiness of it and i reckon it deserves more attention.

smith