Fwd: Event: Introduction to Participatory Geographies Research Group, Sheffield, Feb 2015

Sam Halvorsen

Dec 1, 2014, 8:01:17 AM12/1/14
to reading...@googlegroups.com

Begin forwarded message:

Please consider coming along to this event and pass it along to others you think might be interested ….

Introduction to Participatory Geographies Research Group

Tuesday 24th February 2015, 12 to 4 pm

Sheffield University

This event is an introduction to the participatory geographies research group (of the Royal Geographical Society), with a keynote talk by Kye Askins (Glasgow University). We will also discuss what the group does, who we are and discussion about our weekend away in May 2015. This is an informal event to encourage people to come and meet us and find out what the group is about, to ask us questions and to discuss participatory geographies. We welcome anyone interested, from any discipline and from any stage of your career. Our group seeks to provide an open, supportive and constructive space in which we can explore all issues around participatory geographies.

The Participatory Geographies Research Group is a collective whose members aim to raise the profile and perceived value, and further the understanding and use of participatory approaches, methods, tools and principles within academic geography and beyond:

    • The participatory geographies research group is a broad and inclusive collective of academics and non-academics who value and practice participatory approaches, principles and methods.
    • These participatory methods include a broad variety of tools alongside critical analysis of their utility, limitations and development.
    • A participatory approach in academic geography includes collaborating with others as partners in improving equality, justice, and other progressive social change causes.
    • We aim to work across all spaces and places, alongside attempts to widen participation in higher education geography.
    • We support work that results in social change outside the academy and thus seek to widen the range of what are considered to be legitimate geographical knowledge and research activities.
    • We aim to provide a space for mutual support orientated towards those engaging in participatory approaches, especially for those working within the increasingly pressured and competitive higher education context.

Event timetable

11.30    Register and introduction
12.00 to 13.00    Keynote talk by Kye Askins (Glasgow University) on ‘Some of what we hope for’, followed by discussion
13.00 to 13.30    Introduction to the participatory geographies group and what we do
13.30 to 14.00    Tea and coffee
14.00 to 15.00    Group getting to know each other and our research activities
15.00 to 16.00    Discussion about the group away weekend in May, what we do and what people would like to do.
16.00 onwards    Informal drinks at a local café or pub.

Location: Ron Johnson Research Room, Geography and Planning Building, Winter Street, University of Sheffield.

We will be running a complimentary event in London.

To register: Please email Jenny Pickerill (j.m.pi...@sheffield.ac.uk) by 10th February 2015.

The event is free to attend. Please bring your own lunch.
-------------------------------
Jenny Pickerill

Professor of Environmental Geography

Department of Geography
University of Sheffield
Winter street
Sheffield
S10 2TN
UK

email: j.m.pi...@sheffield.ac.uk
office phone: 0114 222 7960

staff website: www.sheffield.ac.uk/geography/staff/jenny_pickerill
web: www.jennypickerill.info

blog: http://naturalbuild.wordpress.com/
twitter: @JennyPickerill

Editor | Antipode: A Radical Journal of Geography
http://antipodefoundation.org/
http://www.wileyonlinelibrary.com/journal/anti

Chair | Participatory Geographies Research Group
http://www.pygyrg.co.uk

New article: Pickerill, J (2014) Bodies, building and bricks: Women architects and builders in eight eco-communities in Argentina, Britain, Spain, Thailand and USA. Gender, Place and Culture, available at: http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/UPix9KpJRxPWjkWvvntE/full