Researching Occupy London - feeding back to the movement

Sam Halvorsen

Jul 30, 2014, 10:10:21 AM7/30/14
to Occupy Research
Hi all,

After an aborted attempt at organising something similar earlier in the year, I’m keep to put together an informal and open discussion for anyone who has been researching Occupy London to share any ideas they have generated, and open up something of a discussion. I’m trying to get a sense of how much enthusiasm there is for this, so maybe send me an email to let me know (please note if you hit reply it will go to the whole list, which you may want, but otherwise emailing me is fine).

The idea would be to meet up late summer for a couple of hours in central London to have an open discussion on our research. I’d hope that both researchers and activist would come along (and of course many research-activists and activist-researchers), with a focus on Occupy London, but of course all would be welcome.

Thanks

Sam

Judith Ryser

Jul 31, 2014, 7:03:36 AM7/31/14
to reading...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sam,

Count me in. Would love to participate if I am in London

Greetings Judith

Paul Nicolson

Aug 1, 2014, 4:10:06 AM8/1/14
to reading...@googlegroups.com

Pls let me know the date. Thanks Paul.

Occupy Rhetoric

Aug 1, 2014, 11:26:04 AM8/1/14
to reading...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sam!

Would there be a way for me to skype in or do a video chat through Google? I'd love to participate and get an idea of where Occupy London is at, especially as I begin building out my dissertation prospectus on Occupy Wall Street and Occupy Sandy. Thanks for reaching out!

-Meghan
--
c/o: Occupy Rhetoric
Twitter: @OccupyRhetoric

"Occupy Rhetoric" is: 1. an account addressing how the Occupy movement is shifting public (and private) discourse through what Occupiers are saying and how they are having their voices heard; 2. a multimodal dialogic platform designed to demonstrate how the rhetoric of the Occupy movement—and the "occupation" of Rhetoric as a practice, discipline, and field of study—functions as a force and form of labor during times of economic, social, and environmental c/krisis.

Sam Halvorsen

Aug 1, 2014, 12:17:59 PM8/1/14
to Occupy Research
Hi Meghan

That sounds like a great idea, and would be great to hear from you, although will rely on someone volunteering to help out, in case there are any volunteers out there….

I’ll keep the list updated as and when plans start to evolve,

Thanks

Sam

Sam Halvorsen

Aug 20, 2014, 10:53:57 AM8/20/14
to Occupy Research
Hi all

Thanks to those that have responded so far. Hopefully we can put something together late next month.

In the interest of circulating our research on Occupy. I have attached an article I recently published in an academic journal in which I look at the taking of space, and compare st pauls with finsbury square, looking at some of the tensions within and between them. If anyone has an opinion I'd be keen to hear it. Also, it reminds me, we have long talked about setting up some kind of online repository of occupy research, if anyone has the time to get this going let me know, as I know there is a wealth of research out there!

Thanks

Sam

Taking Space Halvorsen.pdf

Peter Coville

Aug 21, 2014, 10:34:34 AM8/21/14
to reading...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sam. Pleased you are doing this. Will try to make it to the meeting once you decide a date.

All the best,

Peter & Andreia

Sam Halvorsen

Sep 1, 2014, 9:59:53 AM9/1/14
to Occupy Research
Hi all

Just a quick email to say that we are going with Friday October 3rd in the evening for the meet up. Will email again with details soon.

In the meantime, if anyone would like to present, or knows someone who would, the idea is to have short 5 mins presentations on people’s research on Occupy followed by questions and discussion

Thanks

Sam

Judith Ryser

Sep 4, 2014, 9:54:46 AM9/4/14
to reading...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sam

Will attend, is in my diary, await details

Greetings  Judith

Sam Halvorsen

Sep 4, 2014, 10:56:17 AM9/4/14
to Occupy Research
Hi all

This is to confirm that we will be meeting on Friday October 3rd from 6-8.30pm at the Royal Festival Hall, on the fifth floor. (I will put a sign up) In order to provide a forum for people to discuss their research on Occupy and have a wider discussion with movement participants. The approximate format will be:

6-7.15pm: short (5 min) presentations by researchers, followed by Q*As
7.15-8.30: open discussion about research Occupy: how useful is the research? How could it be made more useful to social movements?

If you have any problems getting in or finding it, please email me as I check email on my phone. If you won't have email access let me know and I can provide a phone number.

The fifth floor of the Royal Festival Hall is not huge, but you may need to look around for a couple of minutes to find us, so please be patient. We will aim to meet on the GREEN side, but will depend where we can find enough space.

Thanks,

Sam

Sam Halvorsen

Sep 21, 2014, 1:17:57 PM9/21/14
to Occupy Research
Hi all,

Just a quick reminder that we will be meeting on Friday October 3rd to discuss research on Occupy. Come along to find our what people have found out about Occupy! And also to share what you have researched. We will aim to start at 6pm sharp so that we can be done by 8pm, as I'm sure people don't want to be meeting late on a Friday evening.

If you would like to present anything, it would be helpful if you could drop me an email with a brief description of what it is you will be talking about,

Thanks

Sam

Sam Halvorsen

Sep 29, 2014, 6:27:15 AM9/29/14
to Occupy Research
Hi all

A final reminder that this event is taking place this Friday, October 3rd, 6-8pm, on the fifth floor of the Royal Festival Hall, see more details below, all very much welcome, and if you would like to present anything please get in touch

Thanks

Sam

Sam Halvorsen

Oct 2, 2014, 1:04:58 PM10/2/14
to Occupy Research
Final (final!) reminder this is taking place tomorrow evening, Friday 3rd, 6pm, Royal Festival Hall 5th floor

Attempts will be made to live stream it, and the link will be posted to this email list

Thanks

Sam

On 29 Sep 2014, at 11:27, Sam Halvorsen <SamHal...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi all

A final reminder that this event is taking place this Friday, October 3rd, 6-8pm, on the fifth floor of the Royal Festival Hall, see more details below, all very much welcome, and if you would like to present anything please get in touch

Thanks

Sam

Occupy Rhetoric

Oct 2, 2014, 1:18:37 PM10/2/14
to Sam Halvorsen, Occupy Research
Yay! I'll hopefully be able to watch from afar. :)

-Meghan