Reminder: Invitation to John Holloway Seminar - Think Hope Think Crisis - UCL May 7th

1 view

Sam Halvorsen

May 1, 2014, 10:42:35 AM5/1/14
to reading...@googlegroups.com

Please see below for information on an upcoming talk by John Holloway hosted by the Department of Geography, UCL. All welcome, and please forward on. See also facebook event here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/482163561911785

Professor John Holloway, of the Autonomous University of Puebla (see http://www.johnholloway.com.mx/), will be giving a public talk entitled "Think Hope, Think Crisis"
at UCL, London, on May 7th. Professor Holloway is an internationally renowned radical Marxist theorist whose two most recent books, Change the World Without Taking Power (2002) and Crack Capitalism (2010) have had a profound impact in debates over social change in both social movements and universities worldwide. Holloway argues that we need to rethink the concept of revolution in the 21st century, away from the idea of taking power via the state (or indeed any institution) and towards an everyday struggle to bring together our own "power-to-do". His talk, which will take place on Wednesday 7th May, 5-7pm in Room G03, 26 Bedford Way, WC1H 0AP, will engage with the potentials for social change in a time of crisis (see abstract below). For more information please contact sam.halv...@ucl.ac.uk

Please note, attendance will be on a first come basis (no tickets). We have a capacity of 120, but please arrive early to avoid disappointment.

Abstract for talk:

"At the beginning of his great work The Principle of Hope, Ernst Bloch challenged us to learn hope. Now, sixty years later, his challenge is both more difficult and more urgent than ever. How can we think hope, the radical hope of a different world, in the present situation? And how do we relate it to the present crisis of capitalism? The crisis as rupture of capitalist domination should open the world, but it seems to close it. Think hope, think crisis, but how?"