Fwd: [iopslondon] Fwd: Royal Geographical Society Conference: September 2015.

JOHN HAWORTH

Nov 28, 2014, 8:07:08 PM11/28/14
to reading...@googlegroups.com

----Original message----
From : simongar...@googlemail.com
Date : 28/11/2014 - 00:38 (GMTST)
To : john.h...@btinternet.com
Subject : Re: [iopslondon] Fwd: Royal Geographical Society Conference: September 2015.

Hi John,

Hopefully you're already on it and it'll work fine. If you're not let me know and I'l try to remember how to add people...

Cheers!

Simon

On 27 November 2014 at 20:44, JOHN HAWORTH <john.h...@btinternet.com> wrote:
Dear Colleagues

Please find below my attempts to interest members of Occupy London and the Occupy Research Collective in organising a session of research presentations at the Royal Geographical Society of September 2015.  If any of you are interested, please respond to this e-mail.

Many thanks
John.
27/11/14.

From : john.h...@btinternet.com
Date : 27/11/2014 - 19:14 (GMTST)
To : occupyresear...@fastmail.co.uk

Dear Colleagues

Further to my e-mail yesterday, please find below the arrangements for proposing sessions to the Royal Geographical Society conference of September 2015.  You'll see that these proposals have to be submitted by Wednesday 10 December 2014.  So could anybody interested in organising a session with me please respond to this e-mail as soon as possible?

Many thanks
John.
27/11/14.

Dear John

I am re-sending details on sessions, see below

The deadline is December 10th for session proposals,

Thanks,

Sam

Begin forwarded message:

From: RHED-1 <rh...@RGS.ORG>
Date: 27 November 2014 06:32:04 GMT-03:00
Subject: FW: Call for session proposal sponsorship by Participatory Geographies Research Group

Date: Wednesday 2 to Friday 4 September 2015 (with an opening events on Tuesday 1 September)

Location: University of Exeter

Conference Theme: The conference has a theme of ‘Geographies of the anthropocene. The Anthropocene has been claimed to herald a new geological epoch in which human society is acknowledged as having become the greatest force shaping planet earth.  Although its recognition as a new age in geological history remains provisional, the idea of the Anthropocene has already captured the public imagination and that of scientists, social scientists and humanities scholars variously advancing new projects, agendas and critiques in its wake. For example, it has given rise to the ‘post-disciplinary’ ambitions of an Earth Systems Science that presents the integrative role of geography with new challenges; it marks a radical geo-political moment in which the earth shapes new concerns and forms of public engaged in the contestation of planetary governance; and it heralds new demands on our habits of thought in which ‘post-human’ or ‘more-than-human’ modes of theorising and analysis are stretching familiar models of historical, cultural and economic analysis in new directions. This annual conference theme aims to bring all areas of the discipline to the table, including the physical geography and climate science communities, to explore the rich array of geographical work engaging this powerful idea and its consequences.

Submitting Proposals for PyGyRg sponsored sessions: Proposals for, or questions about, PyGyRg sponsored sessions should be sent to Sam Halvorsen ( sam.halv...@ucl.ac.uk

Proposals should be submitted by  10th December 2014 and should comprise:

(i) Title of session;
(ii) Name of Co-sponsoring groups, if applicable
(iii) Name and Contact Details for Session Convenors
(iv) Abstract, outlining scope of session  - 200 words max.
(v) Number of session timeslots that are sought - this year session may not normally occupy more than 2 time slots.
(vi) Indication, if known, of preferred organization of session, e.g. 4 x 20min presentation, plus 20min discussion or 5 x 15min presentation, with 5min question for each, we would encourage you to be creative in your use of the format. Sessions last 1 hour 40 mins.
(vii) Indication, if known for any non-standard arrangements, please note that support for this will be limited in Exeter. There will not be support for Skype or other forms of distance participation at AC2015. However, individual session organisers are welcome to incorporate presentations in this format into their sessions if they feel confident they can do so within the IT setup provided (all rooms will have laptop, projector, screen, speakers and internet connection).

The PyGyRg can sponsor a total of 12 conference sessions.

Please also note that individuals may not make more than two substantive contributions to the conference (where a substantive contribution is: organiser of a session of any number of timeslots; paper/poster presentation of any length; panel member). Acting as chair/facilitator or discussant, or being a non-presenting co-author is excluded from this limit, though multiple roles in these categories this can have a significant impact on scheduling.

As per previous years, the RGS is able to provide a limited number of passes for those who would be otherwise unable to attend due to the costs involved. As such we encourage you to think about the inclusion of non-academics in your session, bearing in mind it will be held in Exeter.

We will confirm whether we can sponsor your session by 20th December 2014.

If your session is accepted for sponsorship you must secure participants and complete the required paperwork by 20th February 2015 at the latest (preferably earlier).

Thanks
Jenny, Sam and Sophie

PyGyRG is a collective whose members aim to raise the profile and perceived value, and further the understanding and use of participatory approaches, methods, tools and principles within academic geography and beyond:

            • The participatory geographies research group is a broad and inclusive collective of academics and non-academics who value and practice participatory approaches, principles and methods.
            • These participatory methods include a broad variety of tools alongside critical analysis of their utility, limitations and development.
            • A participatory approach in academic geography includes collaborating with others as partners in improving equality, justice, and other progressive social change causes.
            • We aim to work across all spaces and places, alongside attempts to widen participation in higher education geography.
            • We support work that results in social change outside the academy and thus seek to widen the range of what are considered to be legitimate geographical knowledge and research activities.
            • We aim to provide a space for mutual support orientated towards those engaging in participatory approaches, especially for those working within the increasingly pressured and competitive higher education context.
-------------------------------
Jenny Pickerill

Professor of Environmental Geography

Department of Geography
University of Sheffield
Winter street
Sheffield
S10 2TN
UK

email: j.m.pi...@sheffield.ac.uk
office phone: 0114 222 7960

Chair | Participatory Geographies Research Group

This email may contain confidential or copyright information and is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use or copy it, but inform the sender immediately.

The Royal Geographical Society (with IBG) has emails scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.

From : john.h...@btinternet.com
Date :
To : sam.halv...@ucl.ac.uk
Subject : Re: Royal Geographical Society Conference 2015.

Dear Sam

Many thanks for this.  What you seem to be saying is that I can propose a session to the Participatory Geographies Research Group, who then decide whether to sponsor it.  In any case, the session still goes forward to the call for papers, and it's only at this stage that people can submit papers for presentation at the session.  Alternatively, I can wait for the call for papers and then be one of those who submit papers for presentation at other people's sessions.

What I'll probably do is to attempt to find somebody to organise a session with me, probably through the Occupy Research Collective, and I'll let you know if I manage to do this.

Many thanks
John.
26/11/14.

From : john.h...@btinternet.com
Date : 26/11/2014 - 02:22 (GMTST)
To : occupyresear...@fastmail.co.uk

Dear Colleagues

Following my presentation to the Occupy Research Collective at the Royal Festival Hall on 03 October 2014, I was very interested to see the quotation below on the Collective's website:

"We have previously held reading groups on issues relevant to Occupy, but we now hope to weave the reading group model into a practical framework of active research, by hosting events, writing collectively for existing publications, publishing our own journal, etc".

I'm wondering if I can interest you in helping me to develop this.  As a Ph.D. student, I have to put together a research training programme of attending, presenting at and organising conferences, and of possibly writing for journals, and I was wondering what the possibilities were of us doing this, as above, and of what funding and other resources would be required.

If I can interest anybody in investigating this, please respond to this e-mail.

Many thanks
John.
25/11/14.