Hello everyone from potential new member!

Frank in Woodcote

Dec 21, 2021, 2:04:35 PM12/21/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Intro to who I am:

I was down in Reading today and just so happened to park outside the front door when I noticed the makerspace sign... Now where had I heard of this 'organisation' before? Not sure, but when Steve R went inside (Hi Steve!), I just had to get more info...

I'm an old professional engineer and am expert at nothing. But I can do metalwork, woodwork, automotive, marine, computers, radio, electronics and plumbing. I'm pretty handy. I'm presently building a large project in my home lab right now, so probably no time start anything new in the worksop. But Steve asked if there was any chance that I might be able to pass on a few tips, in say the area of electronics- from basic fundamentals up to microwave field theory. Teaching? I'm more than happy to help, but do I need to be a fully paid up member if I have no need for the lab at present? A volunteer I suppose...?

-frank

Andy Noyes

Dec 22, 2021, 1:55:40 PM12/22/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Hello Frank and welcome!

Care to elaborate on your large home lab project? I'm sure people would be interested to hear about it.

Andy.

Frank in Woodcote

Dec 23, 2021, 5:02:22 AM12/23/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Well it uses air and sunlight as an energy source and has a mass of about 220t. 😀

And it's just too complicated which is why it's taking up all my time.

While i'm here, what sort of really interesting inventions have come out of the Reading group? Anything other than the usual LEDs and visual projects. I bet there are some absolutely gems having been given a quick tour of the facility the other day. Some really good stuff adorns the walls. So much talent!