Re: [RDG-Hack] Can I remove the solenoid in situ and if so how?

Message has been deleted

Bob Dunlop

Nov 8, 2021, 5:02:55 AMNov 8
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Uhm you can't remove it and leave it in situ at the same time, it's
one or the other.

Firstly if in any doubt about your ability to do this work safely DON'T.
Find a gas tradesperson with the appropriate Competent Persons Scheme
certification. If you're in rented accomodation then it's your
landlords responsibility.

Secondly what I'm saying is as a lay person with no qualification and
based on my experience with our oil fired boiler. So things are the
same but may be different (see attached photo) and be warned.

I have to say the symptom of "blows fuse when hot water on" does not
match the symptoms I've experienced with a failing solenoid. Mine
would be described as "flame dies and won't restart when system gets
hot". So it might be a good time to check with the "Competent Person".

The oil (or gas) control valve is a clever yet simple design. The
actual valve is in a sealed section with the oil, and the electrics
(coil) outside this chamber with the two connected together
magnetically. Typically a soft iron plunger incased in a hollow
tube opens the valve against a spring, the plunger is moved by the
coil or solenoid which is wrapped around the outside of the tube.

In your picture I'd undo the large hex nut carefully (remember that
bolt it's on is a hollow tube not solid). You should then be able
to slide the coil assembly off and replace it with your new one and
refit the hex nut.

Interesting the solenoid on my boiler is secured with a simple hex
nut, yet the replacement kit has a round nut that requires an alan
key. Guess that's to slow the average householder down a bit.

--
Bob Dunlop
IMG_20211108_091804.jpg