Rivnut Tool

Ronnie Daruvala

Dec 3, 2022, 4:45:24 PM12/3/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Is there a Rivnut tool available at Hackspace?  I can't justify buying one to use once for maybe 4 M6 or M8 screws.

Best wishes

Ronnie

Mark Morris

Dec 3, 2022, 5:40:52 PM12/3/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I think so. The wiki says this:

Drawer F1A

Sheet metal tools and rivets

Tin-snips, bending pliers.

Pop rivet guns and rivets, regular rivet sets and rivets

rohinton daruvala

Dec 3, 2022, 5:59:51 PM12/3/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Mark, that's really helpful.

Best wishes

Ronnie

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "rLab / Reading's Hackspace" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/CAAn959-O58DJsj-DSOE%2B3MO2ru_k%3DgyBakGYurx-Se-LZGiUFQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Frank in Woodcote

Dec 4, 2022, 8:26:51 AM12/4/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Kind of interesting story- maybe... 🤷🏻‍♀️

A while ago when we were assembling one of my products for retail, we came to the conclusion that a pop rivet would be the quickest and most reliable fastener during production.

So off I trott to talk to the big rivet supply companies to ask for 20k pieces 3.2mm by 10mm long ali countersunk pop rivets a month.

The answer I get from the salesperson on the phone is "We don't have pop. But sell many others". So I said, "you show loads pics of pop rivets on your web site, so what's that all about?"

The response was not what I expected. "We don't stock pop, only "x" "y" and "z" brands". To which I said "huh?"... (momentary brain freeze).

Yep, "Pop" is actually a brand name, like "Hoover"... So the right question should have been "do you have any blind rivets...?" I learned something that day! 😀👍🏻🇬🇧