CCTV for small business

Mark Robson

Jul 8, 2022, 9:20:33 AM7/8/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm looking for an indoor CCTV system for a small business. It must legally store footage for 31 days, and will need at least 3 (maybe 4) cameras with no low-light requirement.

What I'd ideally like is something fairly cost effective, which does not rely on any:

Clouds
Other peoples' networks
Smartphone Apps

To work normally.

I notice that the major vendors are trying to sell cloud-based app-integrated nonsense. It is not clear whether this complies with data protection rules, but even if it does, I don't like it.

Any ideas?

What do we use in the Hackspace?

Mark

Mr E

Jul 8, 2022, 10:37:49 AM7/8/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

Have a look at:

https://uk.swann.com/

That's what the lab uses and works happily entirely offline.  The one the lab has isn't made anymore, but I imagine the updated ones are much the same.  It does things like delete recordings after X time and just runs happily on its own.  It can be plugged into a network for remote viewing, but not required and we don't.

It does do the motion sensing, although outside is always tricky, best you seem to be able to do is vary the sensitivity and setup bounding boxes on non-sky parts of the image for triggering.

Here's a manual for one of their updated DVR's - https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrsccwkj2cdd17c/MDVR_SYSTEMV8E.pdf?dl=0 to give you an idea (it's very similar to what we have).

All the best.

Rupert

Mark Robson

Jul 8, 2022, 1:57:40 PM7/8/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Frank in Woodcote

Jul 8, 2022, 6:52:36 PM7/8/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
The Swann system uses older AHD video feed tech. Basically analog video signal down a coax cable, plus an additional twin 12v power feed.

There are newer systems which are IP based, where everything is on one cable. Power over ethernet (POE). Easier to install, easier to integrate into the network- and best of all, the recording device or digital video recorder (DVR) can be in a remote location for extra security.

Access to the video content is as secure as your network.

I've got both systems at home and I personally think IP based CCTV is the way to go. Plus if you're technical, you can build your own system up from scratch quite easily. Just make sure you change all the default passwords once installed!

A 4TByte HDD with 4x 1080P cameras recording at about 4 frames per second provides a month's worth. The higher the recording rate, the more memory you need.

Search for 1080P IP camera. The best ones are based on Sony camera chips. Usually IMX323 or IMX291 image sensors, although higher quality, higher resolution seems to be the way it's going...