vinyl cutter misfeeding/ slipping

Tom Bayley

Dec 4, 2021, 6:19:03 PM12/4/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
I used the vinyl cutter and it seemed to slip when cutting on the right hand side and the feed roler seems to not be super tight on the bar.

Is this me operating incorrectly or is this fault known.

yours Tom Bayley

Mr.G

Dec 4, 2021, 7:04:59 PM12/4/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace, tombay...@gmail.com
You should ask Tony, he's a vinyl wizard.

Kind regards

Gerald

Tony Short

Dec 4, 2021, 7:51:37 PM12/4/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
You need to make sure the bar is locked using the little toggle on the right. The rollers and springs also need to be in the right position for the material you are using.

User error I'm afraid! ;-)

Tom Bayley

Dec 4, 2021, 7:57:58 PM12/4/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I thought I might have set it up wrong but the right hand feed roller with the padlock symbol seems to spin freely where as the one on the left is fixed onto the bar.

Yours Tom B

Tony Short

Dec 5, 2021, 10:04:02 AM12/5/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
If the roller isn't correctly seated it will move left and right, there are notches in the steel that it needs to be locked into.

Tom Bayley

Dec 5, 2021, 10:10:20 AM12/5/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Tony,
I tried that but the roller seems to spin on the bar and not enough resistance to push against the blade so the vinyl slipped/ rotated. On the left the roller is fixed firm and works fine.

Will try again and might film it to show you in action

Yours Tom

Mr.G

Dec 5, 2021, 2:42:46 PM12/5/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace, tombay...@gmail.com, to...@tomodomo.net
I recorded Tony demonstrating hope to use the cutter. I asked permission in the first video if he minded it appearing on the internet and he said he didn't. I always (try) and ask first, or at least apologise after ;).

Here are 7 short videos and some of the problems and how to resolve them.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHyVtqq35iaktlRc2nSQo1oYyluYjgP6F

Another important setting was the cutter force and speed in the application could make the difference between a good and a bad print.
Cutter height adjustment.jpg

I have made videos for my own personal use with permission of other tool uses like the Wood lathe, bandsaw, table saw, Metal lathe, Table router, Thickneser,  Stick carving, Laser Cutter but the teachers preferred to remain anonymous so I haven't shared them

Gerald