Induction Request - Tunnel Forge

Maheemal Thilakarathne

Nov 16, 2022, 4:17:55 PM11/16/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I'd like to learn how to use the Propane Tunnel Forge. is anyone able to give an induction?

as for previous experience, I recently learned some blacksmithing basics at Anvil Forge in Reading and looking to continue learning.

My availability is fairly flexible, and I live ~15min drive from the space

Many thanks in advance
Mal

Andrew

Nov 20, 2022, 2:03:47 PM11/20/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mal,

I can give you a forge induction next weekend, 26th or 27th. The induction takes at least 4 hours because it includes lighting the forge and waiting for it to cool down again after. If you can make a day of it we can do some smithing while the forge is lit too.

Use of the forge includes a cost for fuel (£5/hour) and this is split between all users while it's running.

As the induction involves running the forge you'll need to wear appropriate clothing, so no open top shoes, avoid synthetic fabric. And expect it to be burnt a little, you've probably heard it from the smithing you've already done. We do have overalls at Rlab if you want to borrow some.

If you want to read ahead on the induction you can find it here. https://wiki.rlab.org.uk/wiki/Tools/forge/induction

Maheemal Thilakarathne

Nov 21, 2022, 1:08:01 PM11/21/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

Thank you very much; I can do either day with a preference for Saturday the 26th.

I'll try and think of something simple I can make on the day, but happy with just the induction if not

Kind regards,
Mal

Andrew

Nov 21, 2022, 1:17:09 PM11/21/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mal,

Saturday it is then. I can be there as early as 10am.

RLab has some mild steel in various profiles and some sheets that are available at cost and I've got some spring steel and more mild for the same if you have an idea. Or you can pick up a bit of scrap and see what comes to you in the moment.

BR
Andrew

Maheemal Thilakarathne

Nov 21, 2022, 2:17:01 PM11/21/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic; See you on the 26th, 10am

Peter Jackson

Nov 21, 2022, 5:42:55 PM11/21/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Hi Mal/Andrew,

would it be possible to join for this on Saturday? if not, I'll arrange it for another time :)

I have done some blacksmithing previously (toasting fork and coat hooks), and I was planning on doing another course for knife making when i have time.

thanks,
Peter

Andrew

Nov 21, 2022, 5:50:59 PM11/21/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

You're welcome to join us.
It's usually possible to get three people working with the forge at the same time if we get the timing right, and more iron in the fire means that the cost of fuel is split three ways instead of two.

Though the only materials I have for knife making are a cut of spring steel.

BR
Andrew

Peter Jackson

Nov 22, 2022, 6:11:33 AM11/22/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Excellent, thanks :)

I'll probably stick with smaller items for the induction, might try a few leaves and a bottle opener ect.

Peter