RLAB front door card reader not accepting some cards

Mr.G

Jun 14, 2022, 1:47:13 PM6/14/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace, Mark Morris
I've had to admit people  this afternoon. My card worked ok and presumably Mark Morris's
I've read various people's cards on my phone and it shows a valid card and serial number and they appear to operate the tools with readers

regards

Mr.G
Gerald

Mark Morris

Jun 14, 2022, 2:30:59 PM6/14/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I've killed all the power and now the card reader makes the correct noise, but the door doesn't open.

Open to suggestions....

Vance Briggs

Jun 15, 2022, 7:37:10 AM6/15/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Is it always a specific card, or an intermittent fault?

* If the first then likely a software/synchronization/network problem - Rupert ot James would need to take a look
* If the second then maybe a mechanical problem in the door latch or drive motor - Strip the door down and lubricate/troubleshoot

Vance

di...@rlab.org.uk

Jun 15, 2022, 7:40:15 AM6/15/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Multiple cards, yesterday and again just now

Could be the members database too perhaps?

Rupert, James and I are having an offline discussion as to when we can get down there to take a look

As of now though members wont be able to access the space

Tom Allen

Jun 15, 2022, 8:15:35 AM6/15/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I have an analogue door key and am available today ONLY if anyone needs access. Then I'm away for a week.

I believe a few others have physical keys too.

I'll try and get down in a bit and see if I can identify a hardware problem. I have no knowledge or access to the software.

Tom

Arthur

Jun 15, 2022, 8:55:51 AM6/15/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I could do with access and ill be in all day so I can open the door for others.

When would be good for you to drop by rlab Tom? I can get there from home in about 15 minutes

Tom Allen

Jun 15, 2022, 10:22:24 AM6/15/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I ended up giving the keys to Tom Bailey, he is heading down soon he's on  0 77 tom   40 3  36 bailey   216 (spaces and text to prevent bots scrapping his number)

Mark Robson

Jun 15, 2022, 10:36:50 AM6/15/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I was in yesterday, as I understand it, the door card reader is working but the mechanism for releasing the door seems faulty - there are two beeps but no click to open the door. This could be a loose wire or something, I've not investigated it. Nobody's card was working.

Mark

Vance Briggs

Jun 15, 2022, 10:57:47 AM6/15/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I will be heading down tonight and have a key.  I should be there between 18:30 and 19:00.  If anyone wants to come down and help troubleshoot/fix the door then please join me.  I am OK with the electrical stuff, but I may need some help with the mechanical bits.

Vance

Vance Briggs

Jun 15, 2022, 3:46:57 PM6/15/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
All,

TLDR;  Door is not fixable tonight, door actuator is broken. Directors to advise on access  until fixed.

Longer read:

Electrical checks - inside the control box and at the actuator in the door suggest that the electrical side of the door control is working. (Backs up relay clicks and door actuation beeps)
This looks like a replacement:  https://www.locksonline.co.uk/UPVC-Electronic-Lock/GU-Motor-for-Electric-Motorised-Multipoint-Lock.html @ £240 inc VAT.  Best confirmation is in the description on the page of the "A-Oeffner" label.  The Product Reference is 6-31082-00-0-6.

To disassemble the door lock mechanism you need to remove the silver strip along the open edge of the door.  Leaving the Torx screws in place should keep the whole assembly in one piece, but you would have to remove the door handle and lock barrel.  Otherwise you can undo the "Lock and Handle fix" torx screws, but rebuilding the door is slightly more difficult and will likely need 2 people.

Door Screws for reference - If lettered A-Q from the top of the door then:
  • Screws fixing strip to door:  ABEJKNQ (Posi-headed)
  • Top Latch fix:  CD (Torx)
  • Lock and Handle fix:  FGI (Torx)
  • Lock Barrel Security Screw:  H (Long screw bolt)
  • Actuator Fix:  LM (Torx)
  • Bottom Latch fix: OP (Torx)
Over to the Directors...

Vance

Vance Briggs

Jun 15, 2022, 5:05:43 PM6/15/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Retract my last!

Andrew, Rupert and I disassembled and re-greased the actuator gears and it now appears to work.  We are unsure whether this is a permanent fix, but it seems to be working at the moment.  Please report any failures on this thread.

Vance

Mark Morris

Jun 15, 2022, 5:14:53 PM6/15/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to all three of you. Much appreciated :)

Mr.G

Jun 17, 2022, 5:44:12 AM6/17/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
We should ask this guy. If only anyone knew who he was or where he lived ;). EL560

2022-06-17 - door.jpg