Staining previously treated wood

samben...@live.co.uk

Nov 30, 2021, 5:24:54 PM11/30/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Hi there, just looking for some advise on staining previously treated wood

Moved into a new place, all the doors, the hand rail for the stair, the balustrades... Everything is an orangey pine colour, an image of which I've attached.

Id like to stain everything to a sort of dark oak. I got some stain and it didn't seem to sink in at all. Appears whatever has previously been used to treat the wood is blocking this.

Is there any finish I can apply over the top to darken this? With my home set up, it's not really viable for me to sand all of the surfaces I'm looking to refinish.

Thanks

IMG_20211130_221421.jpg

Adam Cave - Ayland

Dec 1, 2021, 3:42:47 AM12/1/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Hi,

The manufacturer will have either stained the wood and then put a clear lacquer on top, or just used a coloured lacquer. The lacquer is what prevents your new stain from penetrating into the wood.
Without sanding off all the finish you're pretty limited to finding another coloured lacquer/vanish which will be able to bond to the existing lacquer and will give you the desired colour.
If you're very lucky a water based interior varnish like https://www.screwfix.com/p/ronseal-interior-varnish-satin-medium-oak-750ml/839ht will stick to your doors, but you'll have to try an area first. You may wish to give this a couple of weeks to fully cure so you're certain it won't just flake off.
You'll definitely need to scuff the doors with some 120 or 180 grit sandpaper to give your new layer something to key into.
A bit of trial and error to be done I'm afraid. (Unless hopefully someone else knows better than I!)

Best,
Adam C-A

samben...@live.co.uk

Dec 1, 2021, 8:39:55 AM12/1/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Yea, that's what i feared.

I have seen that Gel Stain is an option, but i can't really find anywhere i can get it reliably