Welding inductions

63 views
Skip to first unread message

Stephen Rodway

unread,
Jun 30, 2021, 7:10:57 AMJun 30
to rLab Mailing List
So far the inductions on the Boxford CNC milling machine have been going
well (This induction is still available, if interested let me know!) and
now we're getting most of the other metalworking tools back into service
too.

There's been some interest from people in learning to weld so I'm
offering all the welding inductions again from next week onwards. If you
think you might like to be able to use the welding machines but you're
not sure which type of welding is most suitable for you then I've done a
little guide at https://wiki.rlab.org.uk/wiki/User:Stever/Notes/Weldguide

If you'd like an induction then get in touch and let me know which one
you're looking for and what times/days are usually best for you. I'll
try to get people organized into groups and get the inductions running.

Steve

Andy C

unread,
Jun 30, 2021, 7:17:18 AMJun 30
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Yes please! MIG, please!

Andy

Carlo Zinzani

unread,
Jun 30, 2021, 7:19:33 AMJun 30
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I am interested in TIG (level 1&2) - availability any evening or stretching a lunch break 12-14:00, Friday afternoons is also a good time for me.
I did some welding before in the old days.
Thanks Carlo

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "rLab / Reading's Hackspace" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to reading-hacksp...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/60DC5142.2020706%40legionelectronics.co.uk.

hugh griffiths

unread,
Jun 30, 2021, 9:06:02 AMJun 30
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Hi Steve,
Yes please..
I'd like to learn TIG welding, specifically for sheetmetal in steel/stainless, so I guess TIG Level 1 is the one.
Lunchtimes and midweek evenings are best for me, but can be flexible.
Thanks
Hugh

Mark Robson

unread,
Jun 30, 2021, 11:04:26 AMJun 30
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I would very much like to learn how to weld, eventually to be able to weld together sections of aluminium extrusion. I can see from your guide that this is a "level 2 tig" activity, so having no welding experience, it would be better to start at the beginning and take the introductory level 1 mig (for steel).

Right now I don't have sufficient ppe so I'll need to buy a fire resistant boiler suit and some gloves. Then I'd be quite up for starting at level 1 mig.

Mark


On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 at 12:10, 'Stephen Rodway' via rLab / Reading's Hackspace <reading-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Stephen Rodway

unread,
Jun 30, 2021, 11:11:57 AMJun 30
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,
Yes thinner aluminium work is a TIG-2 activity, but if that's your end
goal, I'd suggest going for TIG-1 instead of MIG-1 as the new MIG welder
provides so much electronic assistance that you won't really develop any
skills using it. It's amazing if you just want to get a
steel/stainless/thick-walled-aluminium welding job done, it helps that
enormously, but if you want to learn to do more advanced stuff then it's
a poor way to start.

For PPE you don't need specifically fire-rated overalls, any decent
workshop overalls will do so long as they're not a high %age of
polyester or other synthetics. We keep some in stock in the workshop (on
the wall next to the materials oven) so you could try those on and see
if any of them will fit you before you buy something? We provide
suitable welding gloves (sizes 9,10,11) too so no need to buy them
unless your hands are really exceptionally large or small.

Steve

Mark Robson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would very much like to learn how to weld, eventually to be able to
> weld together sections of aluminium extrusion. I can see from your guide
> that this is a "level 2 tig" activity, so having no welding experience,
> it would be better to start at the beginning and take the introductory
> level 1 mig (for steel).
>
> Right now I don't have sufficient ppe so I'll need to buy a fire
> resistant boiler suit and some gloves. Then I'd be quite up for starting
> at level 1 mig.
>
> Mark
>
>
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 at 12:10, 'Stephen Rodway' via rLab / Reading's
> Hackspace <reading-...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:reading-...@googlegroups.com>> wrote:
>
> So far the inductions on the Boxford CNC milling machine have been going
> well (This induction is still available, if interested let me know!) and
> now we're getting most of the other metalworking tools back into service
> too.
>
> There's been some interest from people in learning to weld so I'm
> offering all the welding inductions again from next week onwards. If you
> think you might like to be able to use the welding machines but you're
> not sure which type of welding is most suitable for you then I've done a
> little guide at
> https://wiki.rlab.org.uk/wiki/User:Stever/Notes/Weldguide
>
> If you'd like an induction then get in touch and let me know which one
> you're looking for and what times/days are usually best for you. I'll
> try to get people organized into groups and get the inductions running.
>
> Steve
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "rLab / Reading's Hackspace" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
> send an email to reading-hacksp...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:reading-hackspace%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "rLab / Reading's Hackspace" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to reading-hacksp...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:reading-hacksp...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/CAJ4NLMcES%2B-tFrmTZqkKb374JFbjnaJJeb2-8icQpn4PbZqOvQ%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/CAJ4NLMcES%2B-tFrmTZqkKb374JFbjnaJJeb2-8icQpn4PbZqOvQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Tim Read

unread,
Jul 5, 2021, 6:18:59 PMJul 5
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Yes please for TIG, thanks!

Stephen Rodway

unread,
Jul 6, 2021, 4:48:09 AMJul 6
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,
OK I've got you on the list and as soon as we have a group ready to go
I'll be in touch about scheduling.

Steve
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "rLab / Reading's Hackspace" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to reading-hacksp...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:reading-hacksp...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/281ae561-f19a-4d25-98b1-42664aab32cdn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/281ae561-f19a-4d25-98b1-42664aab32cdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Tim Read

unread,
Jul 6, 2021, 4:07:18 PMJul 6
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Steve.

Sent from my iPad

> On 6 Jul 2021, at 09:48, 'Stephen Rodway' via rLab / Reading's Hackspace <reading-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to reading-hacksp...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/60E418C6.9040809%40legionelectronics.co.uk.

dave....@googlemail.com

unread,
Jul 13, 2021, 12:45:50 PMJul 13
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Hi, 
I haven't been able to visit rlab for a while, i thought I'd check here after 
Looking at welding machines online. After looking at the flowchart
I decided i would be interested in Mig level 1 or Mig mma mode for thick steel,
As I have a project in mind - a frame made from mild steel extrusions either
3mm or 10mm thick . If there's an induction spot available I'd definitely do it.
Cheers
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages