Laser cutting

Huw Millar

May 29, 2022, 8:13:30 AM5/29/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Hi I'm not inducted on the Laser, however I may need some help completing a project. What I'm after is shapes cut from grip tape (size 250x350mm) I've drawn these in fusion as they are part of a larger assembly, what file format should I use, and is there anyone who could help?

kind regards
Huw

Mark Morris

May 29, 2022, 12:12:05 PM5/29/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Export the shape from Fusion as a .dxf file

When do you want to cut these out?

Huw Millar

May 29, 2022, 12:27:37 PM5/29/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mark, no rush as I’ve only ordered the grip tape today, would you be up for helping? 😊

Kind regards
Huw

May 29, 2022, 6:16:07 PM5/29/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace

Just a note to say that you can’t cut tape/plastics on the laser cutter that contain Chlorine or Fluorine. This usually means no PVC OR PTFE, but there are others as well. You need to check material data sheets for nonstandard items to double check, as cutting these can damage the laser cutter.

Other cutting options are the vinyl cutter, or making a template with the laser for manual cutting.

Tony