Laser cutting HDF or plywood

Helen Roche

Nov 17, 2021, 12:26:35 PM11/17/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
I'm aiming to make some small display shelves (for jewellery) but I haven't yet done any laser cutting of plywood.
Am I advised to get laser-specific birch plywood? Or will hardwood plywood - or even HDF - from B&Q suffice? I'm going to paint the end result, so the finish of the material itself doesn't need to be swanky, and scorch marks don't matter.

Steve Rodway

Nov 17, 2021, 12:40:29 PM11/17/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
The birch or poplar plywood from Kitronic produces the best and quickest
results.

B&Q plywood works fine most of the time but sometimes it contains voids
and glue inclusions so you'll sometimes get a part that fails and have
to make another. It'll be cheaper, but take longer.

Steve
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/581c456d-b412-4a8c-abb3-f9c594fbdeb0n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/581c456d-b412-4a8c-abb3-f9c594fbdeb0n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Helen Roche

Nov 17, 2021, 12:55:35 PM11/17/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Thanks Steve. How about HDF, i.e., this stuff: https://www.diy.com/departments/cut-hardboard-brown-softwood-hard-board-board-l-1-83m-w-0-61m-t-3mm/1696237_BQ.prd
I already have loads of that, which is a major advantage :D

Steve Rodway

Nov 17, 2021, 1:30:53 PM11/17/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Probably won't give the neatest of edges, ply works better, but it's
likely to work so long as you're willing to do some sanding to get the
charred edges off

Steve
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/581c456d-b412-4a8c-abb3-f9c594fbdeb0n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/581c456d-b412-4a8c-abb3-f9c594fbdeb0n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.