Drain pipe roller

Jeremy Poulter

May 30, 2022, 7:09:52 PM5/30/22
to rLab List
Hi,

I would like to mount some 32mm pipe inside a 68mm drain pipe to make a (hopefully) cheap roller. So I need some spacers to glue to both pipes to keep the 32mm pipe in the middle and add some more strength. So my question is, what is the best material to make these out of and what is the best glue to use to attach them?

I would really like to be able to laser cut these  spacers just for ease of manufacturing them so my first thoughts were wood, just some 6mm, maybe 8mm, ply, but is there a good glue that can be used to attach them? Any other good candidates?

FYI
Cheers,

Jeremy

Frank in Woodcote

May 31, 2022, 4:35:44 AM5/31/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Try standard pipe solvent. If you make it a fairly tight fit, the plastic will melt into the spacers you make. Or just make them push fit with no glue at all...?
-frank👍🏻

Frans Wilbrink

May 31, 2022, 5:08:19 AM5/31/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Just an observation:
That outer material doesn't look very thick/strong for roller purposes, have you handled it to check it strength?
If it is thin enough to deform under pressure, you may want to fill it with clay or something like that to make it more sturdy..

F.

Richard Ibbotson

May 31, 2022, 6:00:20 AM5/31/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Is this for a lawn roller? What will you use to give mass?
Structurally PVC cement to PVC is strongest but you can't laser cut PVC. Wood can be bonded to PVC but not as strong and more expensive glue.
https://resin-expert.com/en/guide/how-to-glue-plastic-to-wood

Why not use concrete as both the mass and structural element?

Richard
Sent via Richard's Phone

donke...@gmail.com

May 31, 2022, 10:01:27 AM5/31/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
one spacer at each end and fill it with cement? Epoxy the spacer at the bottom.

Jeremy Poulter

May 31, 2022, 3:48:39 PM5/31/22
to rLab List
No not a lawn roller, more of a roller blind, so doesn't need to be heavy, just roll up a 2m wide cover.

Cheers,
Jeremy

On Tue, May 31, 2022, 11:00 AM 'Richard Ibbotson' via rLab / Reading's Hackspace <reading-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Is this for a lawn roller? What will you use to give mass?
Structurally PVC cemente to PVC is strongest but you can't laser cut PVC. Wood can be bonded to PVC but not as strong and more expensive glue.
https://resin-expert.com/en/guide/how-to-glue-plastic-to-wood

Richard Ibbotson

May 31, 2022, 7:01:55 PM5/31/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Maybe then use expanding polyurethane foam instead of concrete. With a lighter plywood spacer structure to stabilise while setting and seal ends.

Richard