Bike lock-up

Helen Roche

Apr 27, 2022, 12:36:06 PMApr 27
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Hi all. I want to sink something into the ground, or the brick wall, in my front yard so that I can lock my bike to it. Does anyone have experience of this and can recommend a method that is a) cheap, b) doesn't require any unusual tools?
cheers
Helen

Keir Hague

Apr 27, 2022, 12:48:23 PMApr 27
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Helen,

The easiest method is to bolt something like this to the wall with expanding bolts or chemical anchors. I can think of a few easy improvements using tools at Rlab that would make it very low cost as welll.

Regards,
Keir.

Sent from my iPhone

On 27 Apr 2022, at 17:36, Helen Roche <helen...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all. I want to sink something into the ground, or the brick wall, in my front yard so that I can lock my bike to it. Does anyone have experience of this and can recommend a method that is a) cheap, b) doesn't require any unusual tools?
cheers
Helen

Helen Roche

Apr 27, 2022, 1:21:11 PMApr 27
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Thanks Keir. What improvements did you have in mind?

Bob Dunlop

Apr 27, 2022, 1:56:26 PMApr 27
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
The heads of the securing bolts are the weak point.  Rather than damage the heads making the device impossible to demount, a cap over the top of them secured by the chain or bolt you use to secure the bike is a common solution.

A shallow steel dome with a hole in the center just big enough for the loop of the hard point to pass through would do it.

Got any old circular saw blades at the space the could be adapted? Even if it doesn't tightly cover the side the teeth will discourage people trying to leaver the nuts if there's a chance of laceration.

Robert Pryde

Apr 27, 2022, 4:14:57 PMApr 27
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
A word of warning here. If the ground anchor and chain you use does not have a high enough security rating and the bike is stolen then it is likely that it will not be covered by your insurance.