Tool for making MTA-100 wire-to-board connectors

Michelle T

Jun 11, 2022, 1:59:05 PM6/11/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Hi there,

Is there a tool at the hackspace for making MTA-100 connectors? Something like this I believe: https://uk.farnell.com/amp-te-connectivity/59803-1/tool-t-handle-0-1/dp/589494

Thanks,
Michelle

Mark Robson

Jun 11, 2022, 2:44:48 PM6/11/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Looks a lot like a standard punch-tool used for structured cabling / telephone cabling termination. We probably have such a punch tool, but I don't know if it will be compatible.

It's not clear whether this needs a specific tool. Maybe you could modify a standard punch tool so it does the job? How many connections do you think you need to make? If it's 1000s, I'd probably suggest using the proper tool.

Mark

Michelle T

Jun 12, 2022, 3:12:45 PM6/12/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
I'm only making a handful, certainly not thousands. I think you're right that I could get by without the specific tool, but thought it was worth checking.

Stuart Ward

Jun 23, 2022, 10:59:30 AM6/23/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

I have an IDC insertion tool similar to this

https://uk.farnell.com/knipex/97-40-10/insertion-tool-for-utpstp-cable/dp/4134096

Happy to loan it if that will help

Stuart

OpenPGP_signature

Richard Ibbotson

Jun 23, 2022, 11:45:13 AM6/23/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
This might work or at least give some ideas.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4531625

Sent via Richard's Phone

On 23 Jun 2022, at 15:59, Stuart Ward <stuart....@gmail.com> wrote:

OpenPGP_signature