Support for a petition - electric conversions

Carlo Z

Jun 6, 2022, 7:37:19 AM6/6/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Petition to allow cars converted to electric propulsion to be reclassified as zero emissions.
This may be of interest to many hackers tinkering with EVs now and in the future.
Please sign
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/604603

Alex Gibson

Jun 6, 2022, 7:54:06 AM6/6/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Very much so – this is something I am hoping to do imminently!

I have an otherwise perfect Ford Focus which fails MOT on emissions.  An extreme fix would be to simply remove the offending engine entirely, replace with a very basic, low range but usable electric motor and battery setup.

Cheers,

Alex Gibson

edumaker limited

+44 7813 810 765    @alexgibson3d

Unit 3B Bacchus House, Calleva Park, Aldermaston, READING RG7 8EN

Andy Noyes

Jun 6, 2022, 8:44:13 AM6/6/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Wow! I didn't even know that wasn't already possible. Signed.

Frank in Woodcote

Jun 8, 2022, 3:09:36 PM6/8/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
I'm in, having already built two (petrol cars). I also found out that even if the car is recognised by DVLA as zero emission, ULEZ will not! Or even if a presently 'banned' car is modified to be clean, you still wont be allowed to drive into london. So it is only about the money. SMH.

Hugh Wells

Jun 8, 2022, 3:14:13 PM6/8/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
That's interesting, since I understood ULEZ (TfL) uses the DVLA database to determine this.

Do you have some more information?

This email was sent on behalf of CrabLab Limited. The contents and any attachments are expressly intended for the recipient(s). Should you receive this email in error you should contact the sender highlighting the error and remove the email from your system. The opinions expressed therein are not necessarily representative of the views of CrabLab Limited.

David Price

Jun 9, 2022, 1:13:39 AM6/9/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Signed it.
I am an EV owner of a Leaf 40k, soon to be replaced by a Kia Niro EV, so very aware of the secondary uses of Leaf batteries and systems - Powerwall house batteries and ICE-EV conversions.
At the first Fully Charged show (Silverstone 2018) there was a business, whose name escapes me, that was certified by Nissan to use their BMS in conversions, Land Rover Defender was quite popular.
There were several other conversions on display including a Ferrari (308 GTE I think) and a VW Camper;
IMG_20180609_115231 sml.jpg
Unfortunately the 2022 Full Charged was last month but if anyone is interested in EV conversions and vehicles then I recommend going to the next one for ideas and contacts.
david

Frank in Woodcote

Jun 10, 2022, 6:03:40 PM6/10/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Hmmm, tfl are a law unto themselves... Yes, I've had many discussions about various emissions related stuff with them. They partly take DVLA data and then make up their own. Especially true with trucks and vans.

One of my cars is an older (2003) diesel vdub, and actually has cleaner (lab measured) emissions than a standard, allowed-into-london, MODERN vdub. I discussed this and even with independent lab testing by the people who test new models(cars) for compliance, they still wouldn't have it. Same goes for leccy conversions. They would only take the original registered details (just like the petition is asking to be changed). Old top gear did a feature on this i think?

They did admit that busses and trucks that were converted to euro 6 by a few of 'their' approved retrofitters were exempt. Which naturally led me down the route of asking what's the difference between modding a truck/bus/van and a regular car... Reply- they're not considering modified emission cars.

SMH. What can i say?

I know a few people within the N&S circular who now can't really use their like-new classic cars without paying the emissions tax. It's all crazy.

Politics and money....