Woof Filler

Nick Darlow

Jul 1, 2021, 3:53:49 PM7/1/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Can anyone recommend a wood filler for filling cracks in boards that looks decent when the wood is finished with a stain / varnish / oil? I have used Ronseal high performance wood filler before and it looks awful. Anything but natural despite what it says on the tin. https://amzn.to/3AgmOBY

Thanks, Nick

Vidar Velle

Jul 1, 2021, 4:15:10 PM7/1/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
If you use sanded off wood dust from the same type of wood and mix it to a thick porridge style mash with wood glue, that’s normally what works best.  Press it into the cracks, let dry and sand down before treating it.

On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 at 20:53, Nick Darlow <dangerou...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can anyone recommend a wood filler for filling cracks in boards that looks decent when the wood is finished with a stain / varnish / oil? I have used Ronseal high performance wood filler before and it looks awful. Anything but natural despite what it says on the tin. https://amzn.to/3AgmOBY

Thanks, Nick

Vidar Velle
Nordic Glamping LTD
Ph: 07712880021

Mark Morris

Jul 2, 2021, 2:36:41 AM7/2/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this works well. It's what I normally do.

Frans Wilbrink

Jul 2, 2021, 4:45:54 AM7/2/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Glad you say that Vidar..
This is what I have done in the past, out of necessity. But good to hear it was a good idea :)

Adam Cave - Ayland

Aug 2, 2021, 12:51:06 PM8/2/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
I imagine you've probably resolved this by now, but have you got any pictures of the board?
Woodglue and sawdust is about the quickest, but will not darken down with the rest of the wood if you apply and oil or stain as it is no longer porous. If it isn't a particularly heavy use item (and depending on the cracks) then a colour matched wax to fill the cracks is quite good as you can blend the colour a bit to match your finish. Otherwise possibly a bit of alcohol dye in some epoxy if they're biiiiiig cracks (though this will have the same issue of not changing colour with your applied finish, you have a little more control when it comes to the colour.