Sourcing fat capacitors for power supplies

Alex Gibson

Nov 22, 2022, 12:40:33 PM11/22/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

I have some power supplies in need of re-capping, which need 560uF and 680uF.  All marked 250V and 22mm dia, 35mm tall.

These seem to have gone up a lot in cost and out of stock for many local distributors, so looking on AliExpress too.

A couple of questions if anyone has current experience please?

Firstly, is this an area where counterfeits are a problem on AliExpress?

Second, if I go for one of the correct capacitance, marked for HIGHER voltage, should that always be OK, or is it safer to stick to exactly 250V replacements?

Anyone need similar while I am at it?

Thanks,

Alex Gibson

edumaker limited

+44 7813 810 765    @alexgibson3d

Unit 3B Bacchus House, Calleva Park, Aldermaston, READING RG7 8EN

Tony Summers

Nov 22, 2022, 1:56:28 PM11/22/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I've bought from aliexpress before and got caps that had been salvaged from some old equipment and had new heat-shrink sleeve applied. Refund policy there is pretty good though. If you do go to aliexpress then test every one for ESR and leakage.

Going higher than rated voltage should be OK for DC smoothing caps but higher voltage ones sometimes have higher ESR which can be an issue for high-frequency applications. You should also try to match the temperature rating if you can.

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

Nov 22, 2022, 2:18:04 PM11/22/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

That’s definitely a strike against AliExpress.

I just had to get a refund on a pair of unknown 40-pin DIL chips cosplaying as 6522… made by MOS in 2018.

I’m just having a hard time hitting ‘buy’ on an order for 4 capacitors at over £25 posted…!  Repair rather than replace the whole PSU is the right thing to do, but it’s borderline economically, am I imagining that these would have been much cheaper pre pandemic?

Cheers,