Analysing SPI signals

Mark Robson

Nov 17, 2022, 10:38:46 AM11/17/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Do we have anything that can decipher SPI signals on a third party device that can't be modified much?

It's a 3-wire SPI bus (SCS, SCLK, SDIO) with some very tiny pins and could have wires attached etc, carefully.

Mark

Tony Summers

Nov 17, 2022, 11:04:00 AM11/17/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
The manual for the Rigol DS1104Z says it can do that

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

Nov 17, 2022, 11:44:37 AM11/17/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

Yup - the Rigol will.

How to video on it here:

Rupert

Richard Ibbotson

Nov 17, 2022, 12:09:54 PM11/17/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

My preference if fairly low frequency is one of the low-cost USB logic analysers under Sigrok. I think we have one at rLab.

For probes I use these on tiny stuff and like them. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004524052607.html

Do you already know the protocol? You might have difficulty determining the direction of the data I/O, though you might be able to guess from the timing.

Richard

Mark Robson

Nov 17, 2022, 1:02:37 PM11/17/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I am broadly familiar with the protocol, although there are several possible ways of configuring the chip and I don't know which one is in use. It's a Amiccom A7105 which I am also using in my product. We are trying to understand a compatibility problem with a third party (basically unknown) manufacturer and an open source project (DIY-Multiprotocol-Module). The data direction should be clear enough.

I will have to start by identifying the pins with the signals of interest and soldering small wires to them.

Mark

Vance Briggs

Nov 18, 2022, 3:46:38 AM11/18/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
After the discussions at the last electronics evening I got agreement from the directors to purchase this probe kit which should make probing the small pins a little easier.  Not yet sure on the delivery timescales, but I have now ordered it.

Vance

Mark Robson

Nov 18, 2022, 4:16:29 AM11/18/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, it does look handy.

It seems that I don't immediately need this any more, as the developer of this project has fixed the problem himself (just a few hours after I posted the message) - I haven't tested his fix yet though - I haven't even got a copy of the failing hardware (yet)

Mark