Arduino Pro Micro on Windows 64-bit?

Alex Gibson

Jul 30, 2021, 6:39:35 AM7/30/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Just wondering if anyone has had any success getting an Arduino Pro Micro to run on recent Windows?

I’m drawing a blank trying to research this – can’t seem to find atmega32u4 drivers that will work with either Windows 10 or 7 64-bit.

Lots of dead links, old un-answered questions looking for the same - seems as if this board is abandoned – but they are still widely sold, as clones and by Sparkfun…

Sparkfun driver installation notes for this board refer to their GitHub https://github.com/sparkfun/Arduino_Boards  – but if the drivers are within this, it’s not obvious to me how to access them.

Grateful for any ideas as I’ve got a Pro Micro soldered directly to a board, I really want to update the firmware (tested on an Arduino Nano) but can’t upload it!

Cheers,

Alex Gibson

+44 7813 810 765    @alexgibson3d    37 Royal Avenue, Reading RG31 4UR

admg consulting

edumaker limited

·         Project management

·         Operations & Process improvement

·         3D Printing

Vance Briggs

Jul 30, 2021, 8:58:16 AM7/30/21
to Reading Hackspace
Alex,

Is it drivers for the 32U4 you are after or drivers for whichever  USB serial chip is used?

I don't think you need drivers for the 32U4, just need to have the correct cross compiler, usually installed as part of your toolchain, either Arduino IDE or Platformio, etc

Vance

Richard Ibbotson

Jul 30, 2021, 9:37:33 AM7/30/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
The Pro Micro is a a micro version of the Leonardo so there is no separate serial chip. The USB bootloader should already be on the chip and present as a serial port.
I assume the USB port is already working with existing code. What does the USB port show in device manager?

Sent via Richard's Phone

Richard Ibbotson

Jul 30, 2021, 12:03:02 PM7/30/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I just plugged in a diymore pro micro clone into
Win 10 box with Arduino and it loaded the right driver and worked without problems downloading and running.
Device manage first said serial on COM17 but now says Arduino Micro on COM18.
Are you running a 5V or 3.3V PRO ?
Richards

Sent via Richard's Phone

On 30 Jul 2021, at 14:37, Richard Ibbotson <richard....@btinternet.com> wrote:

The Pro Micro is a a micro version of the Leonardo so there is no separate serial chip. The USB bootloader should already be on the chip and present as a serial port.

Alex Gibson

Jul 30, 2021, 12:37:47 PM7/30/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Richard

It’s a 3.3V Pro Micro.

Windows is giving the  treatment.

Getting less and less likely these days but your W10 box is definitely 64-bit not 32-bit?

If 64-bit do you know which driver you have installed?

I installed the ‘driver package’ for 64-bit as downloaded from the Sparkfun github – it installed fine but seems to make no difference to the chip being recognised…

Alex Gibson

+44 7813 810 765    @alexgibson3d    37 Royal Avenue, Reading RG31 4UR

admg consulting

edumaker limited

·         Project management

·         Operations & Process improvement

·         3D Printing

image001.png
image002.png
image003.png
image004.png

Richard Ibbotson

Jul 30, 2021, 1:12:20 PM7/30/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Mine is a 5V 16MHz Pro Micro. It should not make a difference to the USB derivers, but you need the right board files for 3.3V or you will brick the Pro Micro.

Because mine was 5V I just used the standard Arduino Micro board typ.

The PC is running Window 10 Pro on an Intel I9.

When I first started it appeared to use the standard Microsoft USB CDC serial driver, but after I downloaded the sketch with the board set as Arduino Micro it re-enumerated to use the Arduino LLC driver for Arduino Micro (VID 2341, PID 8037)

What VID and PID are you seeing? Maybe you have some weird code in the Arduino with a special VID/PID.

Richard

image001.png
image002.png
image004.png
image005.png

Alex Gibson

Jul 30, 2021, 1:57:11 PM7/30/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Richard,

I’m not sure it’s even able to get as far as showing VID/PID

Good warning regarding bricking with 5V code thanks.  I don’t suppose that could already have happened?

The board is 100% working and running its code – and was originally uploaded via Mac/OSX.

Will see if I can force Windows to use the MS cdc serial driver…

Cheers,

Alex Gibson

+44 7813 810 765    @alexgibson3d    37 Royal Avenue, Reading RG31 4UR

admg consulting

edumaker limited

·         Project management

·         Operations & Process improvement

·         3D Printing

image003.png
image006.png
image007.png
image008.png
image009.png

Richard Ibbotson

Jul 30, 2021, 3:35:22 PM7/30/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Does it use USB in normal operation? If so, does it enumerate under OSX ?

Did you do anything which might have bricked it?

Can you get to the pins to ISCP program it ?

Did you try a double tap reset, sometimes it will bring up the bootloader?

image001.png
image002.png
image003.png
image004.png
image005.png

Keegan Neave

Jul 31, 2021, 5:13:30 PM7/31/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Pro Micro can be buggers for getting themselves in to a state like this, I've ditched a few of them before I learned that you can usually recover them.
Give this a go, turn up your speakers and you should be able to hear the "new hardware" noise if it works:

Alex Gibson

Alex Gibson

Jul 31, 2021, 6:03:54 PM7/31/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Definitely on the right track thanks Jeremy and Richard!

I was able to do the 8-second bootloader reset, saw a COM port, uploaded code after some fiddling about timing a reset during the compiling phase.

For some reason the code doesn’t actually seem to do anything… I selected board ‘Leonardo’ but now checking whether I can get a better board definition – and checking the code itself.

At least I am now into a completely new zone of issues and can be somewhat reassured that the reason the thing didn’t work before was this ‘bricking’ (although the code already on it ran fine).

Thanks again,

Alex Gibson

+44 7813 810 765    @alexgibson3d    37 Royal Avenue, Reading RG31 4UR

admg consulting

edumaker limited

·         Project management

·         Operations & Process improvement

·         3D Printing

Alex Gibson

Jul 31, 2021, 7:11:10 PM7/31/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

All sorted thanks!!

The magic combination was – per Richard and Jeremy

-          Unbrick via the 8-second bootloader trick in the Pro Micro & Fio V3 Hookup Guide - learn.sparkfun.com

-          updating the Arduino Boards manager with the Sparkfun boards definitions

-          Uploading known good sketch choosing the proper Pro Micro 3.3V version.

Now unbricked, with code uploading fine J

Cheers

image001.png

Alex Gibson