Can dust create a short?

Gavin

Nov 23, 2022, 5:38:23 PM11/23/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
My MacBook is having intermittent kernel panics and is reporting:
"i2c0::_checkBusStatus SCL is stuck low; last write status 00010108 int shadow 00010100 xfer 00000000 fifo 00000000 for device audio-tas5770L-spkr-woofer-l

The bits that caught my eye there were the words: i2c, SCL stuck low, and spkr-woofer-l. The task that panics is called bridgeaudiod.

I can’t think that I have installed any new software that might trigger this behaviour, so am thinking that it could be a hardware fault. Because the problem is intermittent, I am hoping that nothing is proper broken, but instead maybe something is perhaps shorting. I don’t think I have spilled anything on it that might cause this, so am wondering if a build up of dust could be the cause? The computer is now 3 years old

A few questions:
1/ could dust cause a short that would hold the SCL low?
2/ looking at the iFixit guides, the speakers are detachable and replaceable but I have not seen any specification for the speaker connectors. I would imagine that the connectors are carrying audio signals rather than i2c - is it even possible that they could be carrying i2c?
3/ or maybe I am looking at this the wrong way, and SCL could be stuck low because of a loose connection somewhere?

All thoughts on how I might go about trying to fix welcome

Gavin

Nigel Worsley

Nov 23, 2022, 5:57:10 PM11/23/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
> A few questions:
> 1/ could dust cause a short that would hold the SCL low?

Highly unlikely, the I2C specification is for the pullup to between 1K
and 10K so the dust would need to be fairly conductive - metal dust or
very wet ordinary dust.

> 3/ or maybe I am looking at this the wrong way, and SCL could be stuck low because of a loose connection somewhere?

No, the I2C master should have pullup resistors so any open circuit
would have to be a failed resistor or the very short PCB trace between
them and whatever IC acts as the master. Not impossible, but
exceedingly unlikely.

I would put my money on a blown chip shorting the SCL line, no idea
how to go about finding that though!

Nigle

Gavin

Nov 23, 2022, 7:20:07 PM11/23/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Nigle. Sadly the blown chip sounds much more plausible than conductive fluff, and my guess, from the look of the replacement speakers on AliExpress, which are (a) < £15 for a pair, and (b) have six contacts on them, I think that chip is mostly likely on the motherboard rather than in the speaker units.

I will take the cover off and have a blow around inside, just in case there is a little bit of metal wreaking havoc in there, but these may be the last days of this laptop :/

Gavin

Mark Robson

Nov 24, 2022, 4:06:27 AM11/24/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I can't help with the problem, but I am very impressed at OS-level logging giving such a detailed (if correct) error message about an electrical fault.

We are truly living in an age of wonder, when the OS can tell you which wires are shorted.

Mark

Bob Dunlop

Nov 24, 2022, 4:16:25 AM11/24/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Thu, Nov 24 at 09:06, Mark Robson wrote:
> I can't help with the problem, but I am very impressed at OS-level logging
> giving such a detailed (if correct) error message about an electrical fault.
>
> We are truly living in an age of wonder, when the OS can tell you which
> wires are shorted.

Beware false positives and diagnosis that don't dig deep enough.

The pin is stuck low, but is a pullup failure, a short to ground, a dead
chips, a dodgy connector ? I'll add a combo I've just thought of, what
if the Vcc (power) line to the speaker has died due to a dodgy connector
then the I2C chip in the speaker could be dragging the line low.

--
Bob Dunlop

Gavin

Nov 24, 2022, 4:30:48 AM11/24/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, a mile away from the ‘Something went wrong’ screen offered by a competitor