Urgently need GBPC3512W power rectifier - ideally 2

Maksym Schipka

Jul 20, 2023, 12:04:50 PM7/20/23
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

  As per the subject, does anyone accidently have Vishay's GBPC3512W bridge rectifier - ideally two? I'd happily purchase them off you. The usual places (RS-Online, Farnell, Digikey) are out of stock. I need it to repair my Solar iBoost energy diverter, as the current one has one of the diodes shorted, hence tripping the circuit breaker. Thank God for circuit breakers.

  I really appreciate any help.

Regards,
  Maksym

Maksym Schipka

Jul 25, 2023, 12:25:48 PM7/25/23
to Reading's Hackspace
Hi guys,

  So I couldn't find GBPC3512W any time soon, but I identified KBPC3516WP as a potentially viable (and slightly over specced) replacement.

  Can someone (Vance?) please help flag up whether I missed anything in the datasheets to make this replacement not work?

  Thanks in advance!

Maksym

Mark Robson

Jul 25, 2023, 4:49:47 PM7/25/23
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It looks like the nominal forward voltage is slightly higher, but not very significantly, that reduces the efficiency I guess but by a tiny amount so it's not going to cause much heat.

It looks like a suitable replacement unless I missed something.

You could also use the -12 part for a like-for-like replacement,  1200V repetitive reverse voltage is going to be plenty if this is just for mains AC.

Obviously be careful and make sure it's got a correctly rated fuse etc.

Mark

Maksym Schipka

Jul 25, 2023, 5:56:53 PM7/25/23
to 'Stephen Rodway' via rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Hey Mark,

  Long time no see and thanks so much for your valuable comments! Yes, it is for mains AC. Im surprised it has to be as high as 1200V TBH, as I’d think going above 500V would be unheard of, but the price difference is negligible, so I could go with 1600V. The sink on this beast is large, and the active cooling is also present, so I do think the extra heat dissipation isn’t going to be a problem. As for the fuse, I already have one for the gbpc3612w, but I’ll recheck whether a modification to the fuse  is needed for this bridge, thank you!

Maksym

Mark Robson

Jul 26, 2023, 3:37:08 AM7/26/23
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah well remember that it is the instantaneous reverse voltage which needs to be rated at least as high as the mains AC ever goes, which is approx sqrt(2)*240 assuming the mains is a perfect sine wave- and probably a bit higher as well to allow for transient voltages like when a nearby high load turns on/off abruptly. 500V sounds enough though.

Mark

Maksym Schipka

Jul 28, 2023, 6:24:23 PM7/28/23
to 'Stephen Rodway' via rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Hey Mark,

  I thought you (and the good guys at rLab) would be pleased to know that KBPC3516WP works perfectly fine in place of GBPC3512W (top right, on the other side of the PCB, on a massive sink). I haven't done this kind of stuff since I was about 14 or so, so I'm really pleased with myself, especially as the part was £6 (+ Mouser's extortionate delivery - but I combined it with a few other parts), and the manufacturer wanted to charge me £175 for out-of-warranty replacement and, more importantly, deprive me of the fun and satisfaction of doing it myself. 😂

  Thanks for checking my thinking here, Mark!

Maksym