PLA recycling at rLab?

Alex Gibson

Feb 21, 2023, 5:06:27 AM2/21/23
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, does anyone know what we do with the PLA recycle bin when full - and is there a recycling plan in action?  Asking for right now as a user, and also because my business generates 3d print waste and could combine strategies.

Cheers, Alex

Mark Morris

Feb 21, 2023, 5:18:00 AM2/21/23
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Nothing right now. I suspect it gets thrown away when the bin is full.

Steve used to melt it down into cool looking bowls or sheets which were then available for members to use (for a donation). If someone wanted to start doing that again then that would be great.

On Tue, 21 Feb 2023, 10:06 Alex Gibson, <al...@alexgibson.net> wrote:
Hi, does anyone know what we do with the PLA recycle bin when full - and is there a recycling plan in action?  Asking for right now as a user, and also because my business generates 3d print waste and could combine strategies.

Cheers, Alex

Alec Muffett

Feb 21, 2023, 5:25:06 AM2/21/23

On Tue, 21 Feb 2023, 10:18 Mark Morris, <aspidis...@gmail.com> wrote:
Steve used to melt it down into cool looking bowls or sheets which were then available for members to use (for a donation). If someone wanted to start doing that again then that would be great.

Curiosity: how do you successfully mould a bowl out of molten PLA? I'm wondering what mould materials would be necessary / how they could be obtained.

-A

Mark Morris

Feb 21, 2023, 5:57:09 AM2/21/23
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
The basic process as far as I know is: Heat up two metal bowls, place PLA material in one, put the other one on top, squeeze together using the press. Trim off the excess once cooled.

najey...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2023, 3:42:57 PM2/25/23
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
The process for making it into sheets using a pair of rollers is not at all a complicated one. Welcome to take some to dick around with if you guys will permit it.

Alex Gibson

Feb 25, 2023, 5:28:52 PM2/25/23
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I can provide a steady supply of nicely sorted PLA, ABS, PETG and even TPU in a range of colours if anyone wants to try, I'd be happy to join in.

Do we have a suitable press at rLab?

Allie of Katzcreates suggested a sandwich toaster being a good tool, I am storing one at my office.  I don't currently have a suitable oven so wondered about making smaller flat tile like pieces in that, and then melting together between sheets of glass or aluminium when I get a suitable oven.

najey...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2023, 4:52:53 PM3/4/23
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Seen it done with a bottle jack and a piece of steel, along with a heat gun. Can't guarantee results of course.