Knowledge in a Box. Greece, July 2012

David Pantalony

Jan 10, 2012, 9:43:28 AM1/10/12
to reading-art...@googlegroups.com
Dear RASI colleagues

Katey Anderson of York wanted to inform you all about the upcoming symposium "Knowledge in a Box." See below. Looks good!

CFP: Knowledge in a Box

We invite proposals from scholars in the history of science, technology, and
medicine, science and technology studies, the humanities, visual and performing
arts, museum and cultural studies and other related disciplines for a workshop
on the uses and meanings of mundane things such as boxes, packages, bottles,
and vials in shaping knowledge production. In keeping with the conference
theme, we are asking contributors to include specific references to the ways in
which boxes have played a role—commercial, epistemic or otherwise—in their own
particular disciplinary frameworks.

Boxes have always supported the significance of the objects they contained,
allowing specific activities to arise. In the hands of natural historians and
collectors, boxes functioned as a means of organizing their knowledge
throughout the eighteenth century. They formed the material bases of the
cabinet or established collection and accompanied the collector from the
initial gathering of natural specimens to their final display. As 'knowledge
chests' or 'magazining
tools' the history of box-like containers also go back to book printing and the
typographical culture. The artists’ boxes of the early nineteenth century were
used to store the paraphernalia of a new fashionable trend. In the late
nineteenth century the box became the pharmacist’s laboratory and a device for
standardizing and controlling dosage of oral remedies. In the twentieth century
radiotherapy the box was elevated to a multifunctional tool working as a memory
aid to forgetful patients or as “knowledge package” that predetermined dosages,
included equipment, and ready-made radium applicators.

Focusing on medicine, boxes have played a crucial role since the eighteenth
century when doctors ought to bring instruments to their patient’s house for
surgical or obstetrical interventions. In modern operating rooms boxes organize
the workflow and build an essential
part of the aseptical regime. Late twentieth century biomedical scientists store
tissue samples in large-scale biobanks, where samples contained in straws are
placed in vials, then the vials in boxes which in turn are stacked up in
"elevators". This storage system facilitates retrieval with barcodes, indexing
each individual sample so that additional variables can be retrieved from a
database. Thus the container and its content are tied up in a close epistemic
and material relationship.

As it is usually the case the box embodies the knowledge that goes into the
chemical laboratory and its function; it classifies objects into collections of
natural history; it meaningfully orders letters in a printer’s composition or
painting equipment for the artist’
convenience; it standardizes pharmaceutical dosage forms and allows pharmacists
to control the production and consumption of their remedies; in the commercial
world it misleads or informs customers; it persuades consumers for the
integrity of the product that they enclose; it hides the identity of the
object(s) that contains, it shapes professional identities and is essential for
mobilizing, transporting, accumulating and circulating materials and the
knowledge
they produce and embody.

Furthermore, if we do understand matter and materiality not as given, solid,
continuous, and stable but rather as something being done, performed, shaped
and embedded in practices, then we should examine closer how bottles and boxes
themselves materialize differently in a
set of diverse practices. How do they change their ontologies by migrating from
the kitchen to the laboratory, from the workshop to the operating room?

We welcome innovative understandings of the role that boxes and containers have
played historically and continue to play in technology, medicine, and science.
We see the workshop as contributing to an ongoing interest in science and
technology studies on the importance of mundane things in scientific practice
and technological innovations.

Dates:
July 26-29, 2012

Submission guidelines:
Deadline for proposals: January 15, 2012
Please submit a 300-words abstract along with your name, institutional
affiliation, email and phone number as a word or pdf attachment to the
organizers of the conference

Proposals will be reviewed and notification of the outcome will be made in
February 15, 2012. We are pursuing publication outlets for selected papers from
the workshop. Therefore we expect full papers from those that will participate
by May 30, 2012. Details will be provided after notification.

Conference registration fee: 50 euros

Place:
The venue of the conference is a wonderful tobacco warehouse renovated to host
the tobacco museum of the city of Kavala in northern Greece.

Contact info:
For further information please contact the organizers:
Maria Rentetzi mren...@vt.edu
Martina Schlünder m.schl...@gmx.de