RASI 2011 Logistics

dpant...@technomuses.ca

Aug 11, 2011, 10:44:39 AM8/11/11
to reading-art...@googlegroups.com
Dear Colleagues,

Here are a few logistical points for next week:

The program and participants for RASI 2011 are on Google Docs, but I have attached them below in case the postings have not been getting to you. For more details please refer to the Google Groups pages:
http://groups.google.com/group/reading-artifacts-CSTM

1) We will all meet at 8:45 Monday morning at the main entrance of the museum, 1867 St. Laurent Blvd. (see bus schedule below).

2)There will be much walking during the week between our large campus of buildings. Bring umbrellas or rain coats if it is raining. Does anyone have mobility issues? If yes, please send me an email and we can make special arrangements.

3) Mid morning drinks and coffee are provided, as well as lunches at noon.

4) **If you have one, please bring a good digital camera. Your group will be posting images on Flickr.

5) if you are ever late or lost, talk to security at the front entrance or staff at the main information desk (1867 St. Laurent Blvd). They will point you to our location at that time.

6) for those coming from the University of Ottawa, here is the bus schedule for Monday morning. You may consult the website for more information.

University of Ottawa to Science & Technology Museum
Depart at 8:10 AM
Mon, Aug 15, 2011
Regular fare
No transfers
Arrive at 8:31 AM
Mon, Aug 15, 2011
Duration: 21 minutes
Walking: 9 minutes

·        At 8:10, walk to station CAMPUS 1A (3021) (3 min.).

·        At 8:13, take Bus route 86 (OC Transpo) direction Elmvale. At 8:25, arrive at stop RUSSELL / AD. 1909 (7157) (12 min.).

·        Walk to Science & Technology Museum. Arrive at 8:31 (6 min.).

·        http://www.octranspo1.com/travelplanner/travelplanner/

See you all soon!

David

David Pantalony, PhD
Curator, Physical Sciences and Medicine
Canada Science and Technology Museum
Conservateur, Sciences physiques et médecine
Musée des sciences et de la technologie
P.O. Box 9724, Station T
Ottawa, Ontario, K1G 5A3, Canada
tel. 613-949-9165   fax 613-990-3636
mob. 613-222-4812
twitter @SciTechCurator

RASI-2011-Program.pdf
RASI-2011-Participants.pdf

Forrest Pass

Aug 11, 2011, 11:06:49 AM8/11/11
to dpant...@technomuses.ca, reading-art...@googlegroups.com
Hi fellow RASI participants,

If anyone spending the week at U of O (or elsewhere downtown) would like a ride to the Museum in the morning and back downtown in the afternoon, I'll have four seats available every day except Tuesday.  Feel free to drop me a line off-list (forres...@gmail.com).

I look forward to meeting everyone next week!
Forrest

Katherine McAlpine

Aug 11, 2011, 2:28:15 PM8/11/11
to reading-art...@googlegroups.com
Hi Forrest,

Thanks for your generous offer. I think I'm going to take my chances with the bus-it feels a bit more authentic and I can see a bit more of the city that way. But I thought I'd drop you a line and introduce myself anyways.

I'm a Masters student at University College London, and I'm taking two weeks off of rioting to come and visit Ottawa and attend the conference. I arrived last night and am hoping to see as  much of Ottawa as I can while I'm here, so if there's anything in particular you would recommend, I'd love to hear about it.

I look forward to meeting you properly on Monday-if not before,

Katherine

On 11 Aug 2011, at 16:06, Forrest Pass wrote:

forres...@gmail.com

Marta C Lourenco

Aug 12, 2011, 5:07:12 AM8/12/11
to reading-art...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

Following your mail exchange makes me very much want to join you.
I am certain you will be transformed by next week, as many others have been in previous years. Ottawa - and David particularly - is at the forefront of using material sources for research and teaching, pushing our field forward and increasing the importance of collections and scientific heritage worldwide.
It's very well done.

I wish you all the best.

Marta Lourenço
University of Lisbon