Can't compile Core 3.5

Gordon Watts

Mar 3, 2016, 1:42:38 AM3/3/16
to re-moti...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

  I’m building my own release for re-linq, and I stumbled across a weird/odd problem. I can’t build the Core_3_5 project. And the reason is that the comments don’t compile! 😊

  Specifically, in order for the build to work, I had to alter <see cref=”ExtensionVisitor.VisitExtension”> to <see cref=”ExtensionVisitor”> or similar – it couldn’t find VisitExtension. Though the same code is built under 4.5, 4.0, etc., it shows no error – only 3.5.

  I altered the comments to get around this (rather than turning off all warnings are errors). But I’m wondering if there is something magic about your setup that allows you to build these in 3.5?

Cheers,
Gordon.

Michael Ketting

Mar 3, 2016, 5:09:15 AM3/3/16
to re-motion Users
Hi Gordon!

Hmm...that's funny...Okay, got it. You're using Visual Studio 2015, correct? I haven't made the switch yet for most of my projects, still using VS2013 and C# 5.0 :) It works again when you fully qualify the ExtensionVisitor type. Roslyn really got some interesting quirks in its symbol resolution for documentation.

Best regards, Michael

Gordon Watts

Mar 3, 2016, 12:25:29 PM3/3/16
to Michael Ketting, re-motion Users

Hi,

 Yes, given that my university terminated the subscription to all other levels of VisualStudio, I converted pretty quickly. 😊

  Interesting. Since it was only the Core_3_5 that failed, I hadn’t looked to see if that was the cause.

Cheers,
Gordon.

Michael Ketting

Mar 4, 2016, 2:13:59 AM3/4/16
to re-motion Users
Yeah, you wouldn't believe the kind of documentation-breaks I had when I first tried to compile using C# 6. Some are plugged holes (a.k.a breaking changes) in the way the type visiblity behaves, others are changes to precendence behavior when selecting APIs, etc. Most of the time, it's because the docs-rules now behave much more like regular code-references, but I'm not convinced this is always the case.

.NET 3.5 brings its own ExpressionVisitor, since it wasn't introduced till .NET 4.0 and the relevant doc-reference is also only located in .NET 3.5. And yet, Roslyn looks *somewhere* in the solution and well...weirdness happens.

Best regards, Michael