Just back from Playacar.........

Luv2vac

Oct 8, 2012, 5:29:39 PM10/8/12
to RE-Connection
Yet another great trip. Met two members that I had been conversing
with on FB which was nice. A few notable mentions:

1. A lot of the regular staff was fired and replaced.
2. We stayed in room 2320 on the oceanfront. While the view was
beautiful and location was convenient to the beach, we prefer the
haciendas overall. The majority of the brown haciendas are currently
being renovated and turned into the white RE buildings (there are
currently only 4). The towel/bathroom building near the main pool is
also under construction as well as the small bar on the beach which I
am told will be bigger and better. Due to porta potties near the
members pool now, there is no formal bar service. We had to hunt
someone down for the most part and one waiter (Gustavo) even took our
tip and never came back. I will say that I was not happy that no one
ever mentioned that there would be a lot of construction going on when
we reserved. I brought 25 people with me to brag about the property,
however half the grounds were boarded up.
3. The small buffet building near the members pool was closed the
entire week, not sure why.
4. For the first time we felt hounded to attend the members update
meeting which we did last year. We had a note on our door every night
indicating a date and time to show up but we refused. They then
resorted to calling our room on a regular basis.
5. We spent half a day at Caracol to see the new RE building which is
beautiful! We didn't get a chance to use the pool or its furnishings
because it was raining. We had to an appt with the wedding coordinator
the day before that we had to cancel due to downpours and when we
showed up the next day unannounced, she refused to see us which I
thought was unfair because we only had a few questions.
6. My biggest beef........no guacamole anywhere! The few times I
asked for it, they went into the kitchen and brought me out a small
plate. Bizarre! No one seemed to have an explanation why it was not
set out.
7. Oh and one night we were swimming in the ocean and were kicked
out. Does anyone know why this is?

Minor details but thought I would share them. we always have a good
time and we can't wait to go back for 10 days in May.

andrea harutunian

Oct 8, 2012, 6:28:06 PM10/8/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
OMG such inconveniences!   I am not going this Oct but have guests going the 20-30th...first time I won 't b there w them, hope construction isn't going on! !!...
We met a couple a few yrs back at Sandos Playacar and they asked if they could buy a week and vaca w us...well this will b the 3rd or 4th time they are going ( we chg $300 )...always w us but not this time " (       I have taste of paradise and have unlimited weeks per yr  up to 30 ( well now less of course)...was at the beginning of RE and couldn't 't have gotten a btr deal...
I am sad I won 't b there this Oct but we couldn't work it out w work and all...there is always next year : )     hopefully everything will b completed by then...
no guacomole?  I would b pissed !!! Well glad u had a good time anyhow...thx for sharing the info...now I am worried my friends wiill b disappointed ...

Andrea...

Andrea

> Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 14:29:39 -0700
> Subject: [RE-Connection] Just back from Playacar.........
> From: ylob...@gmail.com
> To: re-con...@googlegroups.com

Luv2vac

Oct 8, 2012, 7:26:52 PM10/8/12
to RE-Connection

I would definately make them aware of the construction because they
are nowheres near complete :(

On Oct 8, 6:28 pm, andrea harutunian <abh...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> OMG such inconveniences!   I am not going this Oct but have guests going the 20-30th...first time I won 't b there w them, hope construction isn't going on! !!...
> We met a couple a few yrs back at Sandos Playacar and they asked if they could buy a week and vaca w us...well this will b the 3rd or 4th time they are going ( we chg $300 )...always w us but not this time " (       I have taste of paradise and have unlimited weeks per yr  up to 30 ( well now less of course)...was at the beginning of RE and couldn't 't have gotten a btr deal...
> I am sad I won 't b there this Oct but we couldn't work it out w work and all...there is always next year : )     hopefully everything will b completed by then...
> no guacomole?  I would b pissed !!! Well glad u had a good time anyhow...thx for sharing the info...now I am worried my friends wiill b disappointed ...
>
> Andrea...
>
> Andrea
>

> > Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 14:29:39 -0700
> > Subject: [RE-Connection] Just back from Playacar.........
> > From: ylobri...@gmail.com

darwin

Oct 8, 2012, 9:05:27 PM10/8/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
OW. No guacmole WTH.
As far as swimming in the ocean after dark, I am been to other resorts and
seen them kick people out..
The construction sucks as well, but guess it has to be done for improvements
during low season, but would have been nice if you were forewarned,
Oct 8, 2012, 9:47:03 PM10/8/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Anybody been to Sandos Cancun recently? My wife and I are going there to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary next week. We had originally thought we would save some money by taking a taxi from the airport to the Hotel Zone, but I've been checking alot of the travel websites and it looks like there is a monopoly on cab companies allowed to officially at the airport, along with the associated price-gouging, so we're going with the same company we always use for the drive down to Playacar.

Rob

Sent from my iPad

darwin

Oct 8, 2012, 10:10:28 PM10/8/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Happy Anniversary. Have a great time!!

ASHLEY Petch

Oct 8, 2012, 10:41:10 PM10/8/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
we will be back at playacar october 28-nov 6 and caracol from nov 6 to nov 10.....anyone else there at that time??

ashley

~"Passion is Energy.  Feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you"~

kvvmpu kvvmpu

Oct 9, 2012, 12:54:56 AM10/9/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Sending my daughter with couple of friends (first time alone) in December.  Will be there with wife and in laws in June.
What can I say?  Can't stay away from Sandos for too long... :)

Robert Park

Oct 9, 2012, 7:59:18 AM10/9/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com

Trailing you by 2 weeks. We will just miss.
  --bp

Mandy Bates

Oct 9, 2012, 8:58:45 AM10/9/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luv

We are going this Saturday? Please can you tell us exactly what is not open as we are taking friends and it will be embarrassing if it is like a building site there! May have to see if we can change to Caracol! Sandos not advised of any work in the main areas of the hotel! Had heard that more haciendas are being upgraded.

Please can you let us know. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

Luv2vac

Oct 9, 2012, 11:09:49 AM10/9/12
to RE-Connection
Not open is the small buffet by the main pool for breakfast/
lunch....at least while we were there last week. It does turn into
the Mediterraean Restaurant at night but ONLY if it doesnt not rain.
If it rains, they move the Mediterreanan to the Italian restaurant.
The only bar near the beach that is open is the small bar directly on
the beach behind the outdoor showers where you wash the sand off your
feet. The bar service at the members pool is no longer there because
of the potty building where the bar is normally placed. It was hit or
miss to get a drink in the members pool. Construction currently on
the towel/bathroom building....all boarded up. Construction on the
beach where the minibar/hamb/hot dog stand was....all boarded up.
Obviously they are improving some areas which is a plus BUT we never
knew.....some notice would have been nice. The bigger constuction is
obviously at the haciendas and their is only a few pathways because
everywhere else is completed boarded up with photos to show what the
improvements will be. It was actually sad not to be able to show my
guests the beautiful landscaping in that entire area.

A bonus I forgot to mention.....you no longer need to have a username
and password to use the wifi......it is available to everyone now in
the usual wifi spots.

I did not see any construction at Caracol and the new RE building
really is beautiful.....unfortunately it rained so we didnt get to
take full advantage of it.

Have a great trip regardless.

On Oct 9, 8:59 am, Mandy Bates <mndy...@aol.com> wrote:
> Hi Luv
>
> We are going this Saturday? Please can you tell us exactly what is not open as we are taking friends and it will be embarrassing if it is like a building site there! May have to see if we can change to Caracol! Sandos not advised of any work in the main areas of the hotel! Had heard that more haciendas are being upgraded.
>
> Please can you let us know. Thanks
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Mandy Bates

Oct 9, 2012, 1:19:42 PM10/9/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info! Thinking of Asking if we can change as don't want to go on holiday to a building site! 10 and a half hours on a plane is a long time!
Not sure if would be able to get a RE room at Caracol at such short notice.

Anyone else going next week?

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone

Luv2vac

Oct 9, 2012, 1:39:09 PM10/9/12
to RE-Connection
The penthouses at Caracol are nice but smaller than a hacienda. Its
low season, you might get lucky.

On Oct 9, 1:19 pm, Mandy Bates <mndy...@aol.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the info! Thinking of Asking if we can change as don't want to go on holiday to a building site! 10 and a half hours on a plane is a long time!
> Not sure if would be able to get a RE room at Caracol at such short notice.
>
> Anyone else going next week?
>
> Thanks again
>
> Sent from my iPhone

SHARON HAMMOND

Oct 9, 2012, 1:52:42 PM10/9/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Ask for a 1 bedroom suite.. They are awesome.

Oct 10, 2012, 12:50:37 PM10/10/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Is there any word as to how, if at all, the renovated/reconfigured
haciendas will differ from the original 4 RE haciendas?

Will they have hot tubs? Will the hot tubs work any better than the
failing hot tubs in the current RE haciendas? Will there be TVs in the
living room? Will there be hammocks, as there are now in a few of the
non-RE haciendas?

I'm guessing that the pool areas will continue to be less private than
at the existing RE haciendas.

Anything else anyone can think of?

--bp

Luv2vac

Oct 10, 2012, 3:23:08 PM10/10/12
to RE-Connection
They had posters posted along the barricades that showed the rooms
identical to the current 4 RE haciendas so my guess would be the hot
tubs would be in working condition.
My parents stayed in the 6600 building and their hot tub worked. Not
sure about any tv's or hammocks but that is a good suggestion.
> > done by Christmas :o)- Hide quoted text -

Mandy Bates

Oct 11, 2012, 6:07:14 PM10/11/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
We have spoken to our friends and will give Playacar a chance as we love the beach and sea there.

Do you think we need to book a la carte meals in advance? Also were there any spirits waiting in the room ? Last year I think there was vodka.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

Luv2vac

Oct 11, 2012, 8:42:13 PM10/11/12
to RE-Connection

Mandy,
We were able for the most part able to make our reservations on that
Sunday. As for the alcohol in rooms, we never got ours on our April
trip so I emailed Rosy Canché [customer...@royalelite.com] and
the alcohol was there upon arrival. Red/white wine (bring a wine
opener), tequila, rum and vodka. Only one bottle of each for the week
though. They would not deliver anymore.

On Oct 11, 6:07 pm, Mandy Bates <mndy...@aol.com> wrote:
> We have spoken to our friends and will give Playacar a chance as we love the beach and sea there.
>
> Do you think we need to book a la carte meals in advance? Also were there any spirits waiting in the room ? Last year I think there was vodka.
>
> Thanks
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Mandy Bates

Oct 12, 2012, 7:34:53 PM10/12/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Thanks

Just getting ready to leave and very excited.  We will be happy with those bottles as we dont spend a great amount of time at our rooms.  I think we had the same last October.

Do you know what the AI rate is at present?  My confirmation stated 70$, hopefully it will have come down a little!

We were able for the most part able to make our reservations on that
Sunday. As for the alcohol in rooms, we never got ours on our April
trip so I emailed Rosy Canché [customer...@royalelite.com] and
the alcohol was there upon arrival. Red/white wine (bring a wine
opener), tequila, rum and vodka. Only one bottle of each for the week
though. They would not deliver anymore.

On Oct 11, 6:07 pm, Mandy Bates <mndy...@aol.com> wrote:
> We have spoken to our friends and will give Playacar a chance as we love the
beach and sea there.

> Do you think we need to book a la carte meals in advance? Also were there any
spirits waiting in the room ? Last year I think there was vodka.

> Thanks
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 10 Oct 2012, at 20:23, Luv2vac <ylobri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > They had posters posted along the barricades that showed the rooms
> > identical to the current 4 RE haciendas so my guess would be the hot
> > tubs would be in working condition.
> > My parents stayed in the 6600 building and their hot tub worked.   Not
> > sure about any tv's or hammocks but that is a good suggestion.
>
> > On Oct 10, 12:50 pm, Robert Park <bpar...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >> Is there any word as to how, if at all, the renovated/reconfigured
> >> haciendas will differ from the original 4 RE haciendas?
>
> >> Will they have hot tubs? Will the hot tubs work any better than the
> >> failing hot tubs in the current RE haciendas? Will there be TVs in the
> >> living room? Will there be hammocks, as there are now in a few of the
> >> non-RE haciendas?
>
> >> I'm guessing that the pool areas will continue to be less private than
> >> at the existing RE haciendas.
>
> >> Anything else anyone can think of?
>
> >>    --bp

Luv2vac

Oct 14, 2012, 3:28:58 PM10/14/12
to RE-Connection
Rob,
My suggestion is to stick with the transfer companies. We always do,
however, one of our guests 4pm flight was cancelled and she wasn't
scheduled to arrive until 7pm. That said, we decided to take a cab
from Sandos back to the airport to get my cousin. The cab driver
dropped us off in a different terminal and spoke broken English. We
asked him to wait for us, which he did and upon returning back to his
cab, he told us that he had to leave us there bc of the "policia". I
refused to be left at the airport that had very little activity going
on at that time of night and he let us back in the cab to only get
pulled over shortly after exiting the airport. The cab driver was a
nervous wreck as were we bc we had no idea what was going on. The
policia then questioned all of us and after approx 20 mins let us go.
All we got out of the cab driver was "30,000 fine". Needless to say,
we were sketched out.

On Oct 8, 9:47 pm, Rob Federle <thef...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> Anybody been to Sandos Cancun recently? My wife and I are going there to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary next week. We had originally thought we would save some money by taking a taxi from the airport to the Hotel Zone, but I've been checking alot of the travel websites and it looks like there is a monopoly on cab companies allowed to officially at the airport, along with the associated price-gouging, so we're going with the same company we always use for the drive down to Playacar.
>
> Rob
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Oct 8, 2012, at 6:05 PM, "darwin" <darwin.fisc...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>

> > OW. No guacmole  WTH.
> > As far as swimming in the ocean after dark, I am been to other resorts and seen them kick people out..
> > The construction sucks as well, but guess it has to be done for improvements during low season, but would have been nice if you were forewarned,
> > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Luv2vac" <ylobri...@gmail.com>

Luv2vac

Oct 14, 2012, 3:30:31 PM10/14/12
to RE-Connection
We paid $70. The last three times we checked in, the rate has not been
discounted.

On Oct 12, 7:34 pm, Mandy Bates <mndy...@aol.com> wrote:
> Thanks
>
> Just getting ready to leave and very excited.  We will be happy with those bottles as we dont spend a great amount of time at our rooms.  I think we had the same last October.
>
> Do you know what the AI rate is at present?  My confirmation stated 70$, hopefully it will have come down a little!

Rob Federle

Oct 14, 2012, 3:42:32 PM10/14/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
What a nightmare! Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone

Luv2vac

Oct 14, 2012, 7:56:49 PM10/14/12
to RE-Connection

I actually felt compelled to write our transfer company and I received
this email today from them: good info to pass on

Yes, if you take a taxi to the airport there is no problem, but they
are not
allowed to pick up people at the airport. You see, the taxi union here
controls most of the transportation from the airport, if you do not
have the
permits you can get in a lot of trouble. We as a private
transportation
company are only allowed to take people from the airport to the hotels
because our clients make reservations in advance, that is the only way
that
people can be taken by anyone that is not the airport taxis.

The cab driver should've said no to avoid the fine, its well known by
everyone here that taking people OUT of the airport equals big
trouble.

On Oct 14, 3:42 pm, Rob Federle <thef...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> What a nightmare! Thanks for the heads up.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Mandy Bates

Jun 23, 2013, 8:34:21 AM6/23/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Hi

What has happened to this group now? I used to enjoy reading members comments and posting too sometimes. Is there a new group?

Thanks

Mandy

Sent from my iPhone

marika balaz

Jun 23, 2013, 9:15:56 AM6/23/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
we are on FB...at least many of us are there... SANDOS ROYAL ELITE MEMBERS...join us

SHARON HAMMOND

Jun 23, 2013, 11:41:16 AM6/23/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
And the nice thing about our new site is that it is not for constant complaining. It it to meet members and share info. Judy has done a great job creating and maintaining the site. Thanks Judy!

Mandy Bates

Jun 23, 2013, 6:21:24 PM6/23/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I have joined the group and it looks good. It will be good to catch up on what's going on in Mexico as not been since October. Flights from Uk are horrendous price this year!

Thanks again
Mandy

Sent from my iPad

tbach

Jun 24, 2013, 10:03:01 AM6/24/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Not good for the people that don't have facebook :(