History/Relationship of Sandos vs Royal Elite vs Vivarelli Schwartz & Associations

jerbark

Nov 8, 2012, 2:10:34 PM11/8/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com

I just received an email from Erick Ferrerai (see below). While Royal Elite/Sandos agrees to honor "parts" of our contract (and they feel that I should be eternally grateful for their willingness to do this), they are refusing to honor the rest of the contract, under the premise  that they are not required to do so since ROYAL ELITE was not the company that made the contract with me in the first place.

Erik says: "When Sandos took over the Vacation Club we adopted all the members from Vivarelli Schwartz & Associates and we have done our best in respecting their contracts even considering that sometimes they represent a loss to our company."

He makes it sound like they are NOT REQUIRED to honor these contracts, but are doing so out of the "kindness of their hearts" or for some other "ethical" reason..??

Page 1 of my contract is called:  "Affiliation Sheet Royal Elite at Sandos Resorts & Spa Membership".

My payment was made to Royal Elite.

What does Erick mean: "...when we took over the Vacation Club..."?

Page 1 of my contract also says that the "lodging rights and services of this membership of the Vacation Club identified as ROYAL ELITE VACATIONS...".

Page 8 says:  "...of the vacation club membership named Royal Elite Vacations provided under a vacation weeks system entered between, Sandos International SA DE VC.. hereinafter "Royal Elite" represented by Vivarelli Schwarz & Associations SA DE CV..."

I'm not an attorney but, from the above language, it seems to me that our contract was entered into with Sandos who had a division called Royal Elite (which was just a membership club for Sandos's resort business, but Royal Elite didn't do any sales).  Royal Elite or Sandos then hired third, independent company called Vivarelli, et al to represent them and handle all of the contract sales.  When Sandos/Royal Elite became dissatisfied with Vivarelli's performance, SANDOS fired Vivarelli, et al and added the sales function to their Royal Elite company, which was and always has been owned by Sandos.

Does anyone else have different or more information that can help me?

I am planning to seek legal counsel re this, since our membership will be useless to us in the near future (IMO), but before I do, I want to gather as much information as possible.  Again, if you would prefer to email me privately, please feel free to do so at: jer...@dolanweb.com.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jerolyn

*****

Nov 8, 2012, 3:57:00 PM11/8/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Guess I can jump in and say my paper work says Royal Elite& Sandos Hotels and seem to refer to the "Vacation Club" as some thing you sort of become a member of when you are current with your payments.
On one of the pages  of stuff that came with our contract (pg 9) it says  (11th item) maintenance Royal Elite reserves the right to increase the maintenance fee on a yearly basis by a percentage no greater than 2.5%. Starting from signature of the present agreement.
We bought in 2008

cj_sunnyside McKee

Nov 8, 2012, 3:59:43 PM11/8/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Can I ask a question about your AI and annual fee?  Are you saying that you are paying the annual fee but it gets applied to what you owe for AI when you visit the resort?

Sent from my iPhone

jerbark

Nov 8, 2012, 6:09:42 PM11/8/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Yes.  They apparently only offered this "special" for a limited time...  Jerollyn

On Thursday, November 8, 2012 12:59:45 PM UTC-8, CJ wrote:
Can I ask a question about your AI and annual fee?  Are you saying that you are paying the annual fee but it gets applied to what you owe for AI when you visit the resort?

Sent from my iPhone

jerbark

Nov 8, 2012, 6:16:35 PM11/8/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
If you purchased in 2008, did you initial a page called a "New Member's Checklist"?

Re your page 9, it sounds like the same as mine re the possible increase, but  our contract also had an "Addendum" which said:  "The maintenance fee will be towards all inclusive only by using Sandos Resorts".  Translated, that means that if we, or a guest, use the resort (and pay AI fees), then we get a credit off of the AI frees for the amount of the annual maintenance fee (great deal and one of the reasons we signed up).

So far, we been to the resorts about 4- or 5 times and we haven't had any trouble getting them to give us this credit (other than we have to go through the hassle of getting them to do it, which usually takes about 1 additional hour at registration...). From Erick's email below, it appears that they are intending to honor at least THIS part of our written contract - it's the part in our contract that specifically says that the AI fees will only be $50-$100 that they are refusing to honor (and the no minimum occupancy part).

Marcelo Luna

Nov 8, 2012, 8:11:35 PM11/8/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
I bought in 07, and all I can see is in ANNEX A  additional benefits: " PREFERENTIAL RATES UPON PURCHASE OF ALL INCLUSIVE SERVICE", regarding the maintenance to be applied to "ALL INCLUSIVE TOTAL" nothing as well.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/re-connection/-/pARC7bIPdFIJ.

Luv2vac

Nov 8, 2012, 8:12:09 PM11/8/12
to RE-Connection
We bought in 2008 and have this addendum as well. We never got a "new
member worksheet" though.

On Nov 8, 6:09 pm, jerbark <jerolyndo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > contract was entered into with Sandos who had a division called Royal Elite
> > (which was just a membership club for Sandos's resort business, but Royal
> > Elite didn't do any sales).  Royal Elite or Sandos then hired third,
> > independent company called Vivarelli, et al to represent them and handle
> > all of the contract sales.  When Sandos/Royal Elite
> > became dissatisfied with Vivarelli's performance, SANDOS fired Vivarelli,
> > et al and added the sales function to their Royal Elite company, which was
> > and always has been owned by Sandos.
>
> > Does anyone else have different or more information that can help me?
>
> > I am planning to seek legal counsel re this, since our membership will be
> > useless to us in the near future (IMO), but before I do, I want to gather
> > as much information as possible.  Again, if you would prefer to email me

andrea harutunian

Nov 8, 2012, 9:42:52 PM11/8/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Anyone have TASTE OF PARADISE membership? I have a 1 page checkoff list of Royal Elite amenities  (such as 1 bedroom suite,  use of HSI etc)  and an official page with amt of weeks and yr ending...I pay no maintenance fee ... never had a problem booking... my contract says 30 weeks to use (bought in 2008) ending 2018 at any Sandos Resort...only thing I have to pay is all inclusive $...its pretty simple!
Funny thing is we also have HSI. ( Holiday Systems International)...I pay $89 a year maintenance and can get wholesale prices when I use it to go other places...we put it on hold for a year., as we  knew we weren't going to use it this yr,  with no problem- waived the fee...they told us 3/4 of our original payment when we bought in to RE ($2300) was for the use of HSI...we 've been to sandos about 9x already and have had guests ea time...as far as I 'm concerned we already got our moneys worth...the only thing that is not written in stone is the all inclusive fee...says prevailing rate at the time...since we go during low season its always been reasonable ( all tho we were told    VERBALLY it would be around $50!  HA! it was $50 first 2 times $45 when we came during that swine flu frenzy and appx $70 every other time...

> Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 17:12:09 -0800
> Subject: [RE-Connection] Re: History/Relationship of Sandos vs Royal Elite vs Vivarelli Schwartz & Associations
> From: ylob...@gmail.com
> To: re-con...@googlegroups.com

tbach

Nov 8, 2012, 10:24:30 PM11/8/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Jamm you have a great membership with Royal Elite. You informed me of it before we purchased ours and when I inquired about it they said they no longer offer it. They basically told me it was a promotion to get members to join. Good for you........it sounds like it has worked out great.

cj_sunnyside McKee

Nov 8, 2012, 10:40:12 PM11/8/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
That does sound great!

CJ

Sent from my iPhone

Driftwood

Nov 8, 2012, 10:56:33 PM11/8/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Only Issue I have with the response is that, It sounds as if they are going to pick and chose what they want to honor on each contract.
My view is they should honor each contract as written, including the preferential treatment part,

Sandi Finley

Nov 9, 2012, 3:12:43 AM11/9/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
There is also a interesting notation on page 8. It's line 111.2. just above the the word Clauses.It's about  being able to use the size unit in your contract.
any one else have this?

Sandi Finley

Nov 9, 2012, 3:14:13 AM11/9/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
our maintenance fee is applied to our AL fee

jay sarma

Nov 13, 2012, 12:44:22 PM11/13/12
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jerolyn,
I just saw it and I have that clause. So far I had been paying Annual fee without taking the deduction from my AI bill. Thanks to you I will do so from now on. I will feel much better going to Sandos too in the future.
best wishes,
Jay Sarma

--- On Thu, 11/8/12, jerbark <jeroly...@gmail.com> wrote:
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/re-connection/-/pARC7bIPdFIJ.
Message has been deleted

Royal Elite Vacation Club

Jan 2, 2013, 5:08:51 PM1/2/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com

Dear jerbark,

The All Inclusive rates may vary from year to year in order for us to keep providing you with the well deserved quality service of All Inclusive for all our Members. It is not possible for us to calculate the cost of our services in the future since we depend on inflation, taxes, international presence, etc. We have improved all of our services within our Resorts in order to provide our members and guests with a better product on each visit and we do have 80% of our members visiting our resorts each year because of that. Today we are one of the highest demand All Inclusive Resorts in the Riviera Maya and we will keep on innovating and improving our services as well.

Regarding the units, they all have a maximum and minimum occupancy, the 2 Bedroom, for example, is for 4 adults minimum since it has 3 bathrooms, 3 beds, and from 1 to 3 sofa beds. In this case we cannot give a 2 Bedroom Unit to only 2 adults and 1 child since they do not meet the minimum occupancy requirements and at the same time we would be taking away that type of unit for a Members Family that could need it (as long as they have it by contract).

The other option for 2 adults and 1 child to have the 2 Bedroom would be to cover the minimum occupancy All Inclusive rates.

We tried doing the comparison for a 2 Bedroom unit in Sandos Caracol booking through sandos.com and through Royal Elite, but the Sandos website does not offer it to regular guests, only through Royal Elite and to Members who have it by contract, so we decided to do the comparison in a 1 Bedroom.  From February 20th to February 27th, as a regular guest booking through Sandos for 2 adults and 1 child, the total price is 3874.50 USD with no Royal Elite benefits where as coming as a Royal Elite Member where the minimum occupancy that would be charged is for 3 adults, the total price is of 2226 USD which is more than 1000 USD difference.

In the part “when we took over the vacation club”, Mr. Ferrari meant that “we” as the Customer Service Department that stands today for Royal Elite Vacation Club, which no longer involves Vivarelli & Schwartz.

We fully understand that as Members, you may have certain concerns, and are willing to help you out with any questions or clarifications you may want to ask regarding your membership. For this specific purpose we ask you that if that is the case to please contact us directly to: custome...@royalelite.com so that one of our agents can help you out with this matter.

Kind regards,

Royal Elite Customer Service

andrea harutunian

Jan 2, 2013, 5:50:04 PM1/2/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
I have a question...I made reservations for Oct 2013 ...we have a 1 bedroom and was told the all inclusive rate is $74 pp pn ... our guests are getting a studio @ $64 all inclusive!  WHY???  We don't. eat or drink more lol...

Andrea...

Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 14:08:51 -0800
From: royalel...@gmail.com
To: re-con...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [RE-Connection] Re: History/Relationship of Sandos vs Royal Elite vs Vivarelli Schwartz & Associations

Royal Elite Vacation Club

Jan 3, 2013, 11:41:00 AM1/3/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Hello Andrea,

We have a promotion rate for Members who are not staying in a Royal Elite unit, so it is cheaper for them. The regular Members rate would be the Elite Units rate.

Kind regards,
Royal Elite Customer Service

andrea harutunian

Jan 3, 2013, 12:14:18 PM1/3/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Thanks...but I'm    not giving up my one bedroom ( lol) so I guess I won't get the promotional rate...
see u in Oct...

Andrea

Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 08:41:00 -0800
From: royalel...@gmail.com
To: re-con...@googlegroups.com
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/re-connection/-/LHHAj5zr0Q0J.

SHARON HAMMOND

Jan 3, 2013, 12:48:58 PM1/3/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
I think it is a smart thing to offer a lower rate for those that do not want 1 bedrooms. Gives us a choice to pay the lower fee or use 1 bedroom.

Thanks...but I'm    not giving up my one bedroom ( lol) so I guess I won't get the promotional rate...
see u in Oct...

Andrea

Driftwood

Jan 3, 2013, 7:50:17 PM1/3/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Thats a bunch of HOOEY, we paid a substancial amount more up front to have a larger unit on signing the contract. You can twist it anyway you like.

jerbark

Jan 6, 2013, 7:40:33 PM1/6/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
You wrote: "Regarding the units, they all have a maximum and minimum occupancy..."

The problem with this is that there was not minimum or maximum stated in our contract when we purchased.  We would not have spent the money to buy a 2 bedroom unit, if there was a 4 adult minimum, since we usually travel with 3 adults.

You wrote:  "The other option for 2 adults and 1 child to have the 2 Bedroom would be to cover the minimum occupancy All Inclusive rates."

Please clarify this for me...are you saying that it is possible to have 2 adults and 1 child in a 2 Bedroom unit and not be charged for 4 adults?

Finally, WHO exactly is replying to this thread as "Royal Elite Customer Service?.  Please give us the courtesy of including you name when you post, so we know who's speaking on behalf of Royal Elite and Sandos.

Jerolyn

Jerolyn

darwin

Jan 6, 2013, 7:48:31 PM1/6/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Jerolyn
I am sure they are saying that you can book a 2 bedroom unit but you will have  to pay the all inclusive for the minimum occupancy which is 4. We stayed in a 1 bedroom @ Caracol and indeed there is plenty of room for 2 adults and 1 child. There is also 2 bathrooms.

Jan 6, 2013, 8:24:35 PM1/6/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
The one bedroom has a pull out couch in the livingroom...certainly big enough for 2 adults and a child...only have to pay all inclusive for 2adults and whatever the fee is ( depending on age) for 1 child...you will not have used the full 2 bedroom u paid for so I am thinking u will have maybe a studio left to use as your per yr usage...ask cust service...maybe u can go again or sell the remainder...
I have a one bedroom but when I book my guests in a studio 2 studios is equal to a one bedroom usage...

From: darwin....@shaw.ca
To: re-con...@googlegroups.com
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 17:48:31 -0700

jerbark

Jan 7, 2013, 7:01:00 PM1/7/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
But what if you have 3 ADULTS?  3 adults in a 1 bedroom is very cozy and not very comfortable, IMO.  Has anyone been able to book with 3 adults in a 2 bedroom unit and not be charged for 4 adults?  This seems like a very likely scenario to me and again, we would not have purchased a 2 bedroom (and paid extra for that), if we would have known that we'd have to pay double for a third person.  BTW, this 4 person minimum is a NEW rule, it wasn't in effect when we purchased in 2008 and for at least a couple of years after that.

Jerolyn

wendy starr

Jan 7, 2013, 7:33:09 PM1/7/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com

We bought in 2008 and the first time we tried to book our 2 bdrm with 2 adults and 1 child, we found out we would have to pay for 4 adults. This was never mentioned to us either. Our contract says double occupancy. We thought since we paid extra for a 2 bdrm suite, the double occupancy was for the whole suite. But it’s not. We would never of bought the 2 bdrm either if we would of known. And to top it off, now if you are booking a 1 or 2 bdrm, you pay more in all inclusive fees than a person booking a studio. Wish we would of just purchased a studio. Would of saved us a lot of money.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/re-connection/-/9AFF_v5YZTkJ.

pdxblondegirl

Jan 7, 2013, 8:53:48 PM1/7/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Why not pay the single occ rate for the third. That's only 1.5x the rate, right?

Sent from my iPhone

jay sarma

Jan 8, 2013, 6:00:48 AM1/8/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
If I bought a two bedroom unit and am paying the annual dues for it, I would expect to get to use the two bedroom unit for the duration I paid for. As to how many people stay in the unit should not matter. I do not see any such clause in my contract. Jerolyn, I totally agree with you and it is not fair to charge for 4 adults when 3 are sharing the 2 bedroom unit you paid for. Looks like they are making up the rules as they go along!
best wishes
Jay

andrea harutunian

Jan 8, 2013, 6:25:25 AM1/8/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
I agree...u should get to use what u paid for...no clause as to how many adults per unit in writing? Then so be it! The older contracts ( especially founding members) are somewhat different from newest contracts...

Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 03:00:48 -0800
From: drjs...@yahoo.com

marika balaz

Jan 8, 2013, 10:08:38 AM1/8/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
I totally agree with Jay,and Jerolyn...we purchased 1 BR unit in case our son wants to come with us at the same time, to have space enough, we were thinking about studio only, and I wish we did buy a smaller unit. If my memory serves me well, it was about 1/3 less money. Thus they paid for 2 BR real chunk of money and should be able to use it as they need.
If the child is not that small anymore, parents need privacy, and even if there is a pull out sofa in living room, it is not the same as extra BR that they paid for. Not to mention that ocean front 1BR unit in Playacar, has  no second shower and no closet for hanging cloths in living room at all, only some drawers thus some cloths would have to be either in parents bedroom's closet, that is rather small anyway, or laying all over the living room.
They keep changing contracts constantly, but they should honor written older contract as it was presented to us at the time of purchase. PERIOD.
Regarding charging less or more AI fee based on type of the room I would be staying in,
in our contract page 7 regarding AI fee is written:

*****in the event of special discounts or promotions, member shall have the right to receive the lowest discounted rate at the time of booking

So I would say, ENOUGH of nonsense of paying more for bigger unit!!!

Jerolyn, good luck, I hope justice will prevail!!!

Gerrior, Jean Anne

Jan 8, 2013, 3:05:29 PM1/8/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com

We also bought a one bedroom for the “room”   thinking it would be ok for us and the two kids – with the “understanding” during our sales pitch that you would be able to upgrade to a two bedroom, without issue, if one was available.  Well—we went to playacar in Dec 2010 and booked into a one bedroom hacienda – and it being the quiet period there was only one other room taken in the 6 room block.   So we asked to upgrade to a two bedroom –it was impossible!!  After several days it took my husband sitting in the meeting place lobby for 2 hours waiting to speak with someone and getting an incredibly hard time about it – until he was so persistent that they finally gave in.   and this was combined with being harassed on a daily basis about coming to an “update” meeting in the sales office- which we refused to do.

In speaking with another much more seasoned member on the beach during that stay- she had said you could trade in a one bedroom for two studios—which we havent been back, but that was what our plan was for the next time we went- b/c two studios would give you four beds.  The couches in the one bedroom are not really enough to sleep on.

dispose of the e-mail.

jerbark

Jan 8, 2013, 9:35:32 PM1/8/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Becase, in a 2 bedroom unit, they require that you pay for 4 adults.

jerbark

Jan 8, 2013, 9:39:12 PM1/8/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
Interesting - so it seems that you can book 2 studios units or 2 - 1 bedroom units, and only have to pay for 3 adults minimum (2 adults at regular price and the 3rd adult would be charged 50% more as a single supplement),but if you book a 2 bedroom unit, you have to pay the full price for 4 adults...does that make any sense?

andrea harutunian

Jan 8, 2013, 10:44:35 PM1/8/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
No sense!

Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 18:39:12 -0800
From: jeroly...@gmail.com
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/re-connection/-/6PPZoP76fj0J.

RobertJ

Jan 9, 2013, 11:16:34 AM1/9/13
to re-con...@googlegroups.com
I may be incorrect, but it was always my understanding that even a studio required "double occupancy".  A single person staying in a studio pays a 50% surcharge.  That essentially would mean that 3 people in two studios pay the equivalent of 3.5 people.  A two bedroom could potentially sleep more than 4.  I understand the potential lost revenue for Sandos, but agree that it would seem reasonable that 3 people in a two bedroom would then also pay that same 3.5 x AI rate, as opposed to a full 4X.