sluggish response from tester

James Smith

May 20, 2014, 8:18:26 AM5/20/14
to rdm-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I downloaded the new 0.9.0 rdm tester for my raspberry pi.  It boots fine, and OLA admin works perfectly: all connected RDM devices found, and RDM parameters can be quickly displayed, edited, etc.

But when I go to the RDM tester on port 9099, response is very, very sluggish.  It takes many seconds just to load the browser page.  When it finally appears, it then takes a long time to populate the Universe and Responder pull-downs.  There are no such delays from the OLA Admin page.

After selecting "Add all," which moves all the tests from the right to the left pane immediately (no delays), I click Run Tests.  The "Running xxx tests" box appears right away, but then there is a long delay before the progress bar appears, then it crawls along, taking several minutes to complete everything.

I'm using the same SD card on which I ran a previous version of everything, and it was much more responsive. Turbo Mode overclocking is on. I don't see any error messages during boot up. SSH access via PuTTY works fine.

Is this new version a lot slower?  Or is something wrong?

I only have 1 SD card right now, but I've ordered more and they should arrive in a day or two.  Then I can directly compare one image to another.

Many thanks,
Jim

Simon Newton

May 20, 2014, 10:38:19 AM5/20/14
to rdm-t...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 5:18 AM, James Smith <j...@theatrewireless.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the new 0.9.0 rdm tester for my raspberry pi. It boots fine,
> and OLA admin works perfectly: all connected RDM devices found, and RDM
> parameters can be quickly displayed, edited, etc.
>
> But when I go to the RDM tester on port 9099, response is very, very
> sluggish. It takes many seconds just to load the browser page. When it
> finally appears, it then takes a long time to populate the Universe and
> Responder pull-downs. There are no such delays from the OLA Admin page.
>
> After selecting "Add all," which moves all the tests from the right to the
> left pane immediately (no delays), I click Run Tests. The "Running xxx
> tests" box appears right away, but then there is a long delay before the
> progress bar appears, then it crawls along, taking several minutes to
> complete everything.

I've seen this once before when DNS was misconfigured on the card. The
Python web server performs reverse DNS lookups when it logs the
requests, so if your DNS server times out, every HTTP request will be
delayed.

Try ssh-ing in (that will also probably hang for a bit) and then
running cat /etc/resolv.conf . Make sure it points to a valid DNS
server.

Simon

> I'm using the same SD card on which I ran a previous version of everything,
> and it was much more responsive. Turbo Mode overclocking is on. I don't see
> any error messages during boot up. SSH access via PuTTY works fine.
>
> Is this new version a lot slower? Or is something wrong?
>
> I only have 1 SD card right now, but I've ordered more and they should
> arrive in a day or two. Then I can directly compare one image to another.
>
> Many thanks,
> Jim
>

> --
>
> ---

James Smith

May 21, 2014, 11:38:33 AM5/21/14
to rdm-t...@googlegroups.com, nom...@gmail.com

Try ssh-ing in (that will also probably hang for a bit) and then
running cat /etc/resolv.conf . Make sure it points to a valid DNS
server.

Unfortunately, changing the DNS address didn't make any difference.

resolv.conf correctly contains the valid DNS server addresses provided from my router on startup.  I tried temporarily changing the file to point to 127.0.0.1, but that gets overwritten on the next startup.

I'm new to Linux, so I apologize if I'm mixing things up.  But it seems to me that a problem caused by DNS would affect everything.  Only RDM Testing is sluggish -- everything else, including OLA Admin, is quick and responsive.  OLA Admin queries devices via RDM instantly without a problem.

Thanks,
Jim

Simon Newton

May 21, 2014, 12:00:54 PM5/21/14
to rdm-t...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 8:38 AM, James Smith <j...@theatrewireless.com> wrote:

>> Try ssh-ing in (that will also probably hang for a bit) and then
>> running cat /etc/resolv.conf . Make sure it points to a valid DNS
>> server.
>>

> Unfortunately, changing the DNS address didn't make any difference.
>
> resolv.conf correctly contains the valid DNS server addresses provided from
> my router on startup. I tried temporarily changing the file to point to
> 127.0.0.1, but that gets overwritten on the next startup.

I can't thing of anything else that would cause this. Can I get access
to the device to debug it?

> I'm new to Linux, so I apologize if I'm mixing things up. But it seems to
> me that a problem caused by DNS would affect everything. Only RDM Testing
> is sluggish -- everything else, including OLA Admin, is quick and
> responsive. OLA Admin queries devices via RDM instantly without a problem.

olad and the command line tools don't have DNS lookups in the serving
path, so they are isolated from DNS issues.

Simon