Latest version? R-Pi image?

James David Smith

Dec 30, 2020, 7:37:29 PM12/30/20
to RDM Testing
Hi,

It's been a looooooong time, but I'm finally back to updating and expanding the RDM functionality in our devices.

Today I got an R-Pi2 running the most recent Raspian image I could find at http://dl.openlighting.org/, which is 0.9.5.  But It looks like there are newer versions available from somewhere else.  Are there are ready-to-go R-Pi images, or will I need to build it myself?

I'm using an Enttec RDM USB Pro for now, and it's working fine.  I also have a DMXter4 RDM and a miniDMXter4, but I haven't tried using them as interfaces.  Right now, I'm not overly concerned about timing issues, and I have a good Tektronix scope for "bare metal" analysis of the data.

Do newer tester versions perform additional sub-device testing?  Or perhaps I'm missing some way to enable more sub-dev testing?  Our devices have different supported PIDs for root and subs, and I really need more extensive testing of all that complexity.

Looking forward to hearing back.

And Season's Greetings!!

Jim

James David Smith

Jan 13, 2021, 4:30:20 PM1/13/21
to RDM Testing
Would love some help here.  Is this group still active?

Peter Newman

Feb 16, 2021, 7:17:45 PM2/16/21
to RDM Testing
Hi Jim,

Sorry, people (myself included) clearly don't check this mailing list as much as they should.

For anyone else finding this, Jim found us on GitHub and there was some good discussion in here:
https://github.com/OpenLightingProject/ola/issues/1707

On the testing front, I've added quite a lot of new tests (especially since 0.9.5), there are some new sub-device tests too, but I can't remember off-hand exactly how detailed they are and if they check sub-device PIDs.

For the newest bleeding-edge RDM tests, using our git master branch is the best way to go, which will unfortunately mean some compiling, but the guides make that a lot simpler too.

James David Smith

Feb 17, 2021, 10:04:50 AM2/17/21
to rdm-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

We've resolved some of this in other threads (I'm soundscu).  I would definitely like to try the "bleeding edge", particularly if there's more support for subdevices.  I'll revisit the guides on how to compile; last time I checked they weren't entirely clear to me.

I did get past the barrier that had me stuck at 0.9.5, so I'm up to whatever is currently provided through sudo apt-get update.

Does the web UI tell me the testing version somewhere?
Screenshot 2021-02-17 10.00.55.png

By the way, if you'd like a hardware testing device with subdevices implemented, I'd be happy to loan you something.  I have numerous stock RC4 devices that provide 2 and 4 subdevice dimmers, plus sensors and other global things implemented in the root.

Thanks,
Jim
RC4

--

---

James David Smith, President and Chief Product Developer
13604 Heathwood Court, Raleigh, NC, 27615, USA
Toll Free 866-258-4577 | 919-229-9950
www.rc4wireless.com | wirelessdimming.com | rc4.info
 Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Wireless DMX and Dimming.
RC4 Does That.

Peter Newman

Feb 19, 2021, 7:07:42 PM2/19/21
to RDM Testing
Hi Jim,

Yeah I assumed that was you.

You could try Daniel's brand new compilation guides:

If you find any issues, please feed them back to this PR:

In theory you wouldn't need to recompile OLA, just the Python stuff, but that's likely the simplest option.

The RDM testing UI doesn't currently, I've opened https://github.com/OpenLightingProject/ola/issues/1715 to track that. But if you download a test log, it will tell you at teh end of that, or you can checkout the OLA web UI on port 9090.

Thanks for the offer, I'll reply to you off-list about that.