How to get the gpg key out of rdw.db - BackupFriend

Guy Sheffer

Jan 11, 2021, 8:49:16 AM1/11/21
to rdiffweb
Hey all,
I am working on an open source solution that lets you put a Raspberry Pi attached to a hard drive running rdiffweb at your friends and family, and then lets you create backups to them using a desktop client.

I am currently stuck because I need to get the GPG keys saved at rdw.db out somehow, and accessible via the ssh server.

Questions:
  1. Is there some way to communicate with rdiffweb to generate the authorized hosts so I can place it for the SSH server?
  2. If not, is there some information on how the database is structured?

Here is my work in progress and source code. I think this project might interest people here.
Its far from over, we are a group of volunteers building this because its fun and the worlds needs this:
We have so far:
  1. Desktop client: https://github.com/guysoft/backupfriend-client
  2. Docker container that runs rdiffweb: https://github.com/guysoft/BackupFriend-docker
  3. RaspberryPi Distro that serves the docker container for above and runs as a backend:
    https://github.com/guysoft/BackupFriendPi
Thanks,
Guy Sheffer
GuySoft

Patrik Dufresne

Jan 12, 2021, 12:46:13 PM1/12/21
to Guy Sheffer, rdiffweb
Hello Guy,

Which GPG key are you referring too ? Are you asking about the SSH Keys added via the web interface ?

Take note, you may take a look at Minarca which is very close to what you are trying to do.
aka a server with rdiff-backup and rdiffweb + a desktop client to run the backup.
Everything is already integrated for you. You install minarca-server using APT packages
You also install client using APT package or exe for windows.
Link the client to the server and hop you are done.

The only issue is the RPi. I'm not generating packages for ARM yet.

IKUS Software inc.
https://www.ikus-soft.com/
130 rue Doris
St-Colomban, QC J5K 1T9

Guy Sheffer

Jan 18, 2021, 9:25:50 AM1/18/21
to rdiffweb
Hey Patrik,
Thanks for the heads up, I really didn't know of Minarca and that you are developing it.

I tried installing the server on my Ubuntu 20.04 and got on the service:

Jan 18 16:11:50 golem6 systemd[1]: Started Minarca Web Server.
Jan 18 16:11:50 golem6 rdiffweb[79162]: Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Jan 18 16:11:50 golem6 rdiffweb[79162]: Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Jan 18 16:11:50 golem6 rdiffweb[79162]: Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
Jan 18 16:11:50 golem6 rdiffweb[79162]: Fatal Python error: initfsencoding: Unable to get the locale encodi
ng
Jan 18 16:11:50 golem6 rdiffweb[79162]: ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'encodings'

Will note that BackupFriend uses docker containers. It might be worth to ship Minarca in something like that, since these type of server heavily depend on the distro you are using.
It might also make ARM or multiarch builds easy to maintain in the future IMHO.
Without the link to the server, I can't see how the UI behaves because it asks for a link.

Does the Minarca client also work with plain rdiffweb?

Also, we kinda went of topic regarding the questions: