RdiffWeb and Rdiff backup installation

Rishiv Chauhan

Mar 3, 2020, 11:38:50 PM3/3/20
to rdiffweb
Hello All,

I do have two question. Request you to please help me to out.

1. Is this solution is free to use in the company OR any license cost involved.

2. Can i install it( rdiff backup and rdiffweb) on Redhat Linux.

Thanks

Rishiv Chauhan

Mar 4, 2020, 2:38:52 AM3/4/20
to rdiffweb
Hello,

Can anyone help me here to give the answer of the quires along with the installation documents.

Patrik Dufresne

Mar 4, 2020, 7:43:43 AM3/4/20
to Rishiv Chauhan, rdiffweb
Hello Rishiv,

>  Is this solution is free to use in the company OR any license cost involved.

Both, rdiff-backup and rdiffweb are released under GPL license and allow you to deploy them freely in your environment.

> Can i install it( rdiff backup and rdiffweb) on Redhat Linux.

It is possible for you to install both on redhat linux, but documentation may be sparse. But it goes along the line of:

yum install rdiff-backup
pip install rdiffweb

Here the official documentation how to install rdiff-backup: https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup#installation
Here the official documentation how to install rdiffweb: https://github.com/ikus060/rdiffweb/blob/master/doc/installation.md

If you need any more information or assistance, we are offering professional services to quickly get you started. You may also take a look at Minarca which is built on top of rdiff-backup and rdiffweb and provide a tight integration and more features.

Patrik Dufresne Service Logiciel inc.
http://www.patrikdufresne.com/
130 rue Doris
St-Colomban, QC J5K 1T9
vcs

Rishiv Chauhan

Mar 4, 2020, 8:27:00 AM3/4/20
to Patrik Dufresne, rdiffweb
Thank you Patrik for your reply.

Now what I understood here.
We can use it freely ( there is no cost involved inside , its totally free)

2: Could you please give me the red hat Linux installation documents for rdiffweb and rdiffbackup ) as you shared the link that can help to install it on ubuntu only  however I need the installation guide for redhat Linux .

Thanks

Patrik Dufresne

Mar 10, 2020, 8:43:53 AM3/10/20
to rdiffweb
> We can use it freely ( there is no cost involved inside , its totally free)

Yes, you may use it freely without any cost. The software is released under GPL license. This is an open source license. You may have a quick overview of what this license allow and disallow here : https://choosealicense.com/licenses/gpl-3.0/

>  Could you please give me the red hat Linux installation documents for rdiffweb and rdiff-backup

I've reviewed the documentation to get it installed on CentOS8. That should be the same step for RedHat. Here the link to the updated documentation: https://github.com/ikus060/rdiffweb/blob/master/doc/installation.md

vcs

Patrik Dufresne

Mar 10, 2020, 10:39:09 AM3/10/20
to Rishiv Chauhan, rdiffweb
Hello Rishiv,

I wanted to confirm with you if you received the link to the documentation to install rdiffweb on RedHat and if you succeed to install it.