Unable to install after latest commit

Terry Talton

Apr 12, 2018, 9:34:31 AM4/12/18
to rdiffweb
I was able to install rdiffweb until a few days ago.  Now when I try I get the following:

timedicer@timedicer3:~/rdiffweb-master$ sudo python setup.py install
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 212, in <module>
    "pycrypto>=2.6.1",
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/core.py", line 111, in setup
    _setup_distribution = dist = klass(attrs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/setuptools/dist.py", line 272, in __init__
    _Distribution.__init__(self,attrs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py", line 287, in __init__
    self.finalize_options()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/setuptools/dist.py", line 327, in finalize_options
    ep.load()(self, ep.name, value)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/setuptools_scm/integration.py", line 22, in version_keyword
    dist.metadata.version = get_version(**value)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/setuptools_scm/__init__.py", line 119, in get_version
    parsed_version = _do_parse(root, parse)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/setuptools_scm/__init__.py", line 97, in _do_parse
LookupError: setuptools-scm was unable to detect version for '/home/timedicer/rdiffweb-master'.

Make sure you're either building from a fully intact git repository or PyPI tarballs. Most other sources (such as GitHub's tarballs, a git checkout without the .git folder) don't contain the necessary metadata and will not work.

I could use some help getting around it please.

Patrik Dufresne

Apr 12, 2018, 9:56:57 AM4/12/18
to Terry Talton, rdiffweb
Hello Terry,

We recently switch our versioning to use setuptools-scm. This module provide a better integration with our new gitlab CICD platform used to auto test, build and deploy rdiffweb (http://git.patrikdufresne.com/pdsl/rdiffweb/pipelines). It has a downside: you cannot compile from source if you don't have git metadata. In other word, if you get the source code by downloading a ".tar.gz" this won't work. You need to checkout the source code with "git clone ..." command line.

Other solution, is to install using pip. Here are various way to install using pip:
Going forward, pip is really the way to go.

We need to review the installation procedure to make sure it's right. Sorry for the inconvenience.

--
Patrik Dufresne Service Logiciel inc.
http://www.patrikdufresne.com/