How to upgrade 2.7.1 to 2.8.1

Gerard Hooton

Aug 2, 2023, 5:00:03 AM8/2/23
to rdiffweb
I got the following notification:
A new version of Rdiffweb backup management system is now available for upgrade. It's recommend that you upgrade your server to take advantage of the enhancements and bug fixes included in this version.

How do I d that on RHEL 8 ?

Gerard Hooton

Aug 2, 2023, 5:14:39 AM8/2/23
to rdiffweb
Sorry it's on  Linux 5.10.0-23-amd64 (Debian gnu/linux 11)

Gerard Hooton

Aug 2, 2023, 5:22:01 AM8/2/23
to rdif...@googlegroups.com

OK, fixed, using Debian apt update.

I forgot to do systemctl restart rdiffweb

Ger Hooton

Patrik Dufresne

Aug 2, 2023, 7:41:52 AM8/2/23
to Gerard Hooton, rdif...@googlegroups.com
Hello Gerard Hooton,

Thanks for reaching out. Indeed a new version of rdiffweb was released yesterday !
I did not send Rdiffweb release notes to this group. To receive the release announcement you may subscribe to our newsletters.

Here the release announcement:
Introducing Rdiffweb 2.8.0: The Latest Advancements in Open Source Backup Management

I'm glad you managed to upgrade Rdiffweb on your own. But I'm curious how you did it on RHEL using the APT repository ! I did not know it was even possible to use APT in RedHat.

--
ATTENTION: Je serai en vacance du 10 août au 20 août 2023.
ATTENTION: I will be on vacation from August 10 to August 20, 2023.

Gerard Hooton

Aug 2, 2023, 8:51:18 AM8/2/23
to Patrik Dufresne, rdif...@googlegroups.com

Sorry that was my error, the system that rdiffweb is on is Debian not RHEL.

--

Ger Hooton

Patrik Dufresne

Aug 2, 2023, 8:56:41 AM8/2/23
to Gerard Hooton, rdif...@googlegroups.com
Hello Gerard,

In that case a simple `apt update` followed by `apt upgrade` should do the trick.

Gerard Hooton

Aug 2, 2023, 9:04:25 AM8/2/23
to Patrik Dufresne, rdif...@googlegroups.com

Also :

systemctl restart rdiffweb

Thanks Patrik.

--

Ger Hooton

Patrik Dufresne

Aug 2, 2023, 9:13:32 AM8/2/23
to Gerard Hooton, rdif...@googlegroups.com
`systemctl restart rdiffweb` should not be required. The upgrade should trigger the service restart by itself. Will check on my side.