Submit your DefinedNamespaces

Nicholas Car

Sep 17, 2021, 8:19:42 PM9/17/21
to rdfli...@googlegroups.com

As of rdflib 6.0.0, we have DefinedNamespaces which contain the elements of a namespace (ontology/vocabulary/profile etc) and make them available for type hinting and warning-based validation.

If people would like to create DefinedNamespaces for interesting/important/their favourite namespaces, we can include them in [rdflib's `rdflib.namespace` package](https://github.com/RDFLib/rdflib/tree/master/rdflib/namespace). This will make your namesapces more visible and less prone to error in use.

If you are interested, have a look at those already there and put a PR in to add yours.

Natanael Arndt

Sep 23, 2021, 4:57:37 AM9/23/21
to rdfli...@googlegroups.com

Hey Nick,

that sound like a good idea in general, to have more vocabularies available in python through the RDFlib. But I have some doubts about including a set of defined namespaces directly into the RDFlib. Vocabularies and their terms evolve over time. This would bring in problems when we include the vocabularies as they are in the rdflib releases. I would suggest to put the vocabularies in a separate project/package and directly generate the DefinedNamespaces from the vocabularies, e.g. based on https://archivo.dbpedia.org/

Currently the DefinedNamespace modules already contain a line "Generated from: …" did anyone find out which script was used for that, already?

Kind regards,
Natanael

--
http://github.com/RDFLib
---

Nicholas Car

Sep 26, 2021, 11:16:19 PM9/26/21
to rdfli...@googlegroups.com
I'm following up with Edmond Chuc to get the script that he used for the current ones. It was originally written by Harold Solbrig.If we can't get it, we can quite easily rewrite it (since it's only a bunch of queries against a vocab/ont for Classes & Properties in the namespace).

Yes, we could consider a separate RDFlib package to store lots of Namespace, if we had lots. So far, I've not been swamped! We could indeed couple our DefinedNamespace production to a system like Archivo for auto-update, but then also allow Git Pushes for people to update also.

I think a GitHub Action could work here: push RDF file to the repo and, when merged by a maintainer, a new DefinedNamespace is created.

Nick